Spain Travel Advice, Embassies & Tourist Offices

Travel Advice

Last updated: 18 December 2014

The travel advice summary below is provided by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK. 'We' refers to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. For their full travel advice, visit

A strike is affecting lifeguard services in the area of Arona, South Tenerife. Take extra care if there are no life-guards, flags or signs on beaches.

Over 12 million British nationals visit Spain every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

There have been several deaths as a result of falls from balconies. Don’t take any unnecessary risks, especially when under the influence of drink or drugs.

There is a general threat from terrorism.

You should apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you travel. If you already have an EHIC, make sure it hasn’t expired.

Some medical costs aren’t covered by the EHIC so you should also take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

On 6 October, the Spanish Ministry of Health confirmed that a nurse in Madrid had tested positive for Ebola. Although the chances of being infected remain very low, there are measures you can take to prevent catching Ebola. You should follow the health advice issued by the National Travel Health Network and Centre.

If you’re concerned that you might have been exposed to Ebola, or are showing symptoms, seek immediate medical advice. If you’re in the UK, call NHS 111. Information from the Spanish health authorities may be obtained via: + (34) 91 4000001 or

Be alert to the existence of street crime. Thieves tend to target money and passports so don’t keep them all in one place. Keep a copy of your passport somewhere safe.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.