Syrian Arab Republic Food and Drink
There are numerous restaurants in Aleppo and Damascus serving a variety of Oriental and European dishes.
• Kubbeh (minced semolina and meat formed in balls and stuffed with minced meat, onion and nuts).
• Yabrak (vine leaves stuffed with rice and minced meat), ouzi (pastry stuffed with rice and minced meat) and a variety of vegetables cooked with meat and tomato sauce, usually presented on separate plates and eaten by mixing it with cooked rice.
• Mensaf (pieces of lamb on rice and pine nuts).
• Main vegetables are okra, French beans and malukhiyya.
• Baklava is a favourite dessert made from flaky pastry filled with honey and nuts.
Table service is the norm and a meal is paid for afterwards. There are bars serving a wide range of alcoholic drinks. Alcohol is permitted but restrictions are imposed during Ramadan when it is illegal to drink in public from dawn to dusk, even for non-Muslims.