From water fights to fire festivals, we’ve picked out the top travel destinations for April 2020
Best for nature lovers: Cherry Blossoms, Japan
Witness Japan’s landscape overcome by a breathtaking sea of cherry-blossoms this April. Incredible shades of pink stretch across the main islands that make up the country, blooming first in Okinawa, Kyushu, crossing through Honshu (where big cities like Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo are located), then reaching Hokkaido a few weeks later. Although the blossom is likely to start in late March, you can expect it to be in full bloom during April too.
Mount Yoshino in Nara Prefecture is often considered as Japan’s most famous cheery-blossom spot. Every spring, over 30,000 cherry trees blossom cover the mountain slopes in spectacular shades of pink. Getting to Yoshino is easy – shuttle buses run between Chikurin-in Temple in Nara and Yoshino Station (which is at the foot of Mount Yoshino) during the cherry blossom season. Alternatively, take a train from Nara, Kyoto or Osaka to Yoshino-guchi Station. From there, switch to the Kintetsu Train and you should reach Yoshino Station in 30 minutes.
If you are in Tokyo, the best places to see cherry blossoms are Chidorigafuchi (the moat within the Imperial Palace), Shinjuku Gyoen Park, Ueno Onshi Park, Sumida Park, Inokashira Park, as well as Yaesu Street which is on the east side of Tokyo Station.
Before you go:
- Check out the Tokyo travel guide.
- To find the cheapest flights, search on Skyscanner where you can look at multiple flight options.
- Compare hotels on this HotelsCombined.com page and find the niftiest deals.
- Skip lines and get your attraction tickets on Tiqets.com.
Best for culture vultures: Beltane Fire Festival, Scotland
Expect to be greeted by drumbeats, fireworks and a whole lot of energy at Beltane Fire Festival in Edinburgh. Taking place on April 30, this festival follows the Celtic tradition of welcoming in the Summer with carefully choreographed performances by fire dancers and costumed actors. Tickets for this ethereal event go on sale soon but beware, they’re known to sell out fast.
Take this opportunity to check out Edinburgh and its many attractions. Top spots are the Edinburgh Castle, National Galleries of Scotland, Royal Yacht Britannia, Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Scotch Whisky Experience. Skip the lines by getting your tickets in advance from this Tiqets page.
Before you go:
- Search for your flights on Skyscanner where you can search for multiple flight options and are guaranteed to find the best and cheapest tickets.
- Compare hotel prices on this HotelsCombined.com page.
- Use our informative Edinburgh City Guide to plan your trip.
Best for party people: New Year celebrations, Laos
The most important festival in Laos, the Lao New Year takes place from April 13 to 15. Over three days, colourful festivities take over the country with the population gathering to enjoy beauty pageants, dancing and music. Expect to get a little wet too as water-throwing custom, a symbolic act of spiritual cleansing, is fun to join in. Just make sure that you keep valuables in a waterproof bag.
Apart from the festivities, Laos is home to breathtaking natural beauty. Cruise the mighty Mekong in search for dolphins, trek to see tribe villages in central highlands, watch the sunset from the summit of Mount Phousi in Luang Prabang, visit a wildlife reserve, the list is endless.
Before you go:
- Check if you need a visa to visit Laos and use our Laos Travel Guide to plan your trip.
- Vientiane International Airport is well served by many airlines connecting the capital of Laos with major cities across Southeast Asia. To find flights, search on Skyscanner where you’re guaranteed to find the cheapest tickets.
If you found this interesting, take a look at: