From nature to culture, plus a chance to enjoy German beer at a less touristy beer fest, we’ve got your October getaway covered
Best for families: Toronto, Canada
A loveable city spread across the shores of Lake Ontario, Toronto is a holiday destination that has something to suit everyone. It is also one of the greenest cities in the world – a fifth of the city is covered by a green canopy, and many of the buildings in the downtown districts are LEED-certified, meaning that they are environmentally-friendly.
From now until November, Toronto Zoo hosts a new art installation called ‘Washed Ashore: Art to Save the Sea’ with ten sea creature-inspired sculptures (including an eight-foot-tall Magellanic penguin) built from plastic found in oceans and waterways around the world. This program aims to use these giant sculptures to bring awareness to plastic pollution in oceans and to spark positive changes in consumer habits.
Going to Toronto, Canada
More than 40 airlines fly to Toronto, so search for your flights on Skyscanner to find the best and cheapest available. Assuming you are departing on October 7 and returning on 14, a check on July 26 reveals the cheapest flights are:
- London to Toronto from £338 with Iberia. This direct flight takes 7 hours 50 minutes.
- New York to Toronto from US$211 with Porter. The entire journey is about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Singapore to Toronto from S$1,102 with Philippine Airlines. This flight has a stopover in Manila and takes 21 hours 30 minutes.
Before you go, check out the Toronto travel guide.
Best for city slickers: Stuttgart, Germany
Everyone knows about Oktoberfest in Munich, but if you want to avoid great throngs of tourists without compromising on great beer, head to Stuttgart instead.
For 17 days from September 27 to October 13, Stuttgart hosts the Cannstatter Volksfest, aka Stuttgart Beer Festival. Expect an amazing array of beer tents, market stalls, funfair rides with boisterous oompah bands as well as contemporary music in the background.
Beyond the beer tents, we recommend you check out the Porsche Museum and the Market Hall. Use the Stuttgart travel guide to help you plan your trip.
Going to Stuttgart
Search for your flights on Skyscanner to find the best and cheapest available. Assuming you are departing on October 7 and returning on 14, a check on July 26 reveals the cheapest flights are:
- London to Stuttgart from £95 with easyJet. This direct flight takes 1 hour 40 minutes.
- New York to Stuttgart from US$556 with Norwegian to Amsterdam and you do a self-transfer from Amsterdam to Stuttgart with Eurowings. The entire journey is about 12 hours 30 minutes.
- Singapore to Stuttgart from S$990 with British Airways. This flight has a stopover in London and takes 17 hours 15 minutes.
Best for beach bums: Seychelles
The shimmering white sandy beaches and azure waters make Seychelles an idyllic paradise, one where all the stresses of daily life dissolve as you lounge on a secluded beach, stroll through coconut groves or scuba dive to explore the wondrous marine life.
October is at the end of the peak season before the Northwest monsoon season starts, hence prices are generally lower, but the days are still relatively dry. Temperature-wise, the average high reaches 28°C (82°F).
While you may come for the breath-taking beaches, the locals will encourage you to stay for the Creole culture, as everyone is invited to celebrate Festival Kreol from 23-29 October. The aim of this festival is to promote Creole food, fashion, art, music and dance.
Getting to Seychelles
Air Seychelles, British Airways, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines and Lufthansa all fly to Seychelles. Search for your flights on Skyscanner to find the best and cheapest available. Assuming you are departing on October 21 and returning on 28, a check on July 19 reveals the cheapest flights are:
- London to Mahé from £686 with Emirates. This flight has a stopover and takes 12 hours 45 minutes.
- New York to Mahé from US$1,232 with Emirates. This flight has a stopover and takes 18 hours 15 minutes.
Before you go, check out the Seychelles travel guide.
If you found this interesting, check out: