Foreign travel advice

Trinidad and Tobago


Over 30,000 British nationals visit Trinidad and Tobago every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

There are high levels of violent crime in Trinidad, including murder, particularly in parts of the capital Port of Spain. See Crime

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Trinidad and Tobago. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in crowded spaces and places visited by foreigners.

There is a risk of mosquito-borne illnesses in Trinidad and Tobago from dengue fever. You should take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.

UK health authorities have classified Trinidad and Tobago as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For information and advice about the risks associated with Zika virus, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

Trinidad and Tobago is rarely affected by hurricanes, but severe tropical storms can occur, which can result in localised flooding and landslides.

You can contact the emergency services by calling 999 (police), 811 (ambulance) or 990 (fire).

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Safety and security



There is a high level of gang related violent crime in Trinidad, particularly in and around the city centre of Port of Spain, including Laventille, Morvant and Barataria. Crime tends to occur within local communities but can sometimes affect visitors.

Trinidad’s Carnival celebrations takes place in February or early March. During the festival there are large gatherings of people at events across the island. The Trinidad & Tobago Ministry of Tourism and the police have enhanced security measures for tourists during Carnival. If you’re visiting Trinidad during Carnival or attending any events, you should remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Incidents of petty theft, street crime and other opportunistic crime do occur.

You should maintain at least the same level of security awareness as you would in the UK. The motive for most attacks on tourists is robbery. Don’t walk alone in deserted areas, even in daylight, and try to avoid travel beyond major populated areas late at night and before dawn. Don’t carry large amounts of cash or wear eye-catching jewellery. Take care when withdrawing money from ATMs.

Theft from vehicles and property occurs in parts of downtown Port of Spain and other towns/cities. Make sure your accommodation is secure and use a hotel safe to store valuables, money and passports. Take particular care when driving, especially at night, and take local advice to avoid straying into areas affected by gang violence. Always drive with windows closed and doors locked. Crimes including rape, assault, robbery and theft have taken place in private cars and maxi taxis.

There have been incidents of violence and fatal accidents caused by drunk driving to and from the airport, particularly on the Beetham/Churchill Roosevelt Highway.


Most visits to Tobago are trouble free and incidents of violent crime are rare. However, there have been recent incidents involving tourists (including British nationals) being robbed and raped.

You should maintain at least the same level of security awareness as you would in the UK and make sure your living accommodation is secure. Don’t carry large amounts of cash or wear eye-catching jewellery. Use a hotel safe to store valuables, money and passports. Petty theft from cars is common.

Villas, particularly those in isolated areas, should have adequate security, including external security lighting, grilles and overnight security guards.

Don’t walk alone in deserted areas including beaches even in daylight. Consult your tour operator if in doubt.

Be vigilant at all times and carry a mobile phone with roaming capability for use in emergency.

Road travel

You can drive in Trinidad and Tobago with a valid UK driving licence for up to 90 days. If you’re staying longer/living in Trinidad and Tobago, you will need to get a local Driver’s Permit from the Trinidad and Tobago Licensing Division. You can check the Living in Trinidad and Tobago guide for information on licence requirements for residents.

Take care when driving and observe speed limits. Some roads are narrow and winding, and the surface is of a low standard. Pedestrians often walk on the roads and indicators are not always used.

Take extra care when driving at night as some roads are unlit. Road signs and hazards may not be easily visible.

The standard of driving in Trinidad and Tobago is mixed. High speed road accidents on the main highways in Trinidad often result in fatalities.

Use hotel or pre-booked taxis and drivers who work with set fares. Private taxis in Trinidad and Tobago are unmetered and unmarked but can be identified by vehicle registration plates beginning with ‘H’. They can take the form of either a private car or ‘maxi taxi’ minibus. Some vehicles with ‘P’ registration plates offer informal taxi services illegally.

If you don’t have a vehicle, use hotel taxis to get around, particularly after dark.

Air travel

Safety concerns have been raised about INSEL Air. The US and Netherlands authorities have prohibited their staff from using the airline while safety checks are being carried out. UK government officials have been told to do the same as a precaution.


Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Trinidad & Tobago. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in crowded spaces and places visited by foreigners.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

Although there have been no recent attacks in Trinidad and Tobago, more than 100 Trinidad and Tobago nationals have travelled to Syria and Iraq to fight along with Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL). In February 2018, the local authorities arrested some individuals who had planned to carry out attacks against Carnival 2018.

There’s also a threat from individuals who may have been inspired by terrorist groups, including Daesh and al Qaeda, to carry out so-called ‘lone actor’ attacks targeting public events or places.

On 1 November 2017, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago announced that it had approved a national counter-terrorism strategy, and that an action plan to address violent extremism had been drafted. The Minister of National Security has spoken publically about Trinidad and Tobago’s efforts to tackle terrorism and violent extremism, including through co-operation with the UK.

There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Local laws and customs

Drug traffickers face severe penalties. Marijuana/ cannabis is illegal and can carry a custodial sentence. The authorities make thorough checks. Pack all luggage yourself and don’t carry items for anyone else.

Male and female same-sex sexual activity remains illegal in Trinidad and Tobago. There is legislation in place that bars LGBT individuals from entering the country. In practice, these laws are rarely enforced and there is growing local support for LGBT rights. However, public displays of affection between same sex couples may attract negative attention. See our information and advice page for the LGBT community before you travel.

It is an offence for anyone, including children, to carry or dress in camouflage clothing.

Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.


You do not need a visa to visit Trinidad and Tobago as a visitor. Visitors are generally given 90 days to remain in the country, but extensions can be obtained from the Passport and Immigration Department, in Port of Spain (Trinidad) and Scarborough (Tobago).

You must be in possession of a valid return ticket and have sufficient funds for your stay in Trinidad and Tobago. Further details on these and other entry requirements can be found on the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago’s Immigration Division website or by contacting the High Commission of Trinidad and Tobago in London.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Trinidad and Tobago.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Trinidad and Tobago.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website.


At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).

In some areas of Trinidad and Tobago medical facilities can be limited. Private clinics are able to treat most ordinary problems, but medical evacuation to Miami or elsewhere may be necessary in more serious cases. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

UK health authorities have classified Trinidad and Tobago as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For information and advice about the risks associated with Zika virus, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

Mosquito-borne dengue fever is endemic to Latin America and the Caribbean and can occur throughout the year.

The 2013 UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic estimated that around 14,000 adults aged 15 or over in Trinidad & Tobago were living with HIV; the prevalence percentage was estimated at around 1.5% of the adult population compared to the prevalence percentage in adults in the UK of around 0.25%. Exercise normal precautions to avoid exposure to HIV/AIDS.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 811 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment. 

Natural disasters


Earthquakes are a potential threat and tremors are felt occasionally. On 21 August 2018 Trinidad and Tobago experienced an earthquake in excess of magnitude 6.7 causing damage to some buildings and communication networks. To learn more about what to do before, during and after an earthquake, visit the website of the US Federal Emergency Management Agency.


The Caribbean hurricane season normally runs from June to November. Trinidad and Tobago is rarely affected by hurricanes but can experience severe storm conditions. Visitors to the Caribbean can monitor local and international weather updates from the National Hurricane Centre. See our Tropical cyclones page for advice about what to do if you are caught up in a hurricane.

Seismic activity

You should monitor the alert level of the underwater volcano ‘Kick’em Jenny’, located 5 miles off the coast of Grenada. Observe any maritime exclusion zones and follow the advice of the local authorities in the event of increased activity or eruption.

Travel advice help and support

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London on 020 7008 1500 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send the Travel Advice team a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.