World Travel Guide > Guides > Oceania > Vanuatu

Vanuatu travel guide

About Vanuatu

If you can confidently point to Vanuatu on a map then you’re a better geographer than most. Drifting like flotsam in the Pacific Ocean, this little-known nation has much to offer intrepid travellers and is all the more appealing for its obscurity.

Made up of approximately 83 islands, the geologically active archipelago is a natural playground of colourful coral reefs, bubbling volcanoes and lush rainforest. Visitors can drive up to the crater of Yasur, cited as the most accessible active volcano in the world, sea kayak round the islands' sandy shores, explore underwater WWII relics, or hike and bike through coconut plantations and steamy jungles.

Those less disposed to physical exertion can always while away lazy days on Vanuatu’s bountiful beaches, which really are the picture of tropical island idyll. Or why not charter a boat and hop from one island to the next? Wherever you go expect a good feast: the food here is absolutely exquisite, a testament not only to talented local chefs, but also the profusion of fresh ingredients that grow on this fertile archipelago.

Warm and welcoming, with a rich and sometimes mysterious traditional culture, the ni-Vanuatu people greet visitors as friends and are keen to share stories about their country, which was declared the happiest nation on the planet in 2006. The Happy Planet Index hasn’t bestowed this title on Vanuatu since, but it’s still pretty jovial by all accounts.

Tourism in Vanuatu is largely centred on the islands of Tanna, Espiritu Santo and Efaté, with most international visitors arriving on the latter. From here it is easy to travel by boat or plane to the rest of the country, which caters for travellers of all stripes. Sure, it’s skewered to the well heeled, but amongst the high-end beach resorts are a smattering of wallet friendly options. Proof that paradise needn’t break the bank.

Key facts


12,190 sq km (4,707 sq miles).


270,470 (UN estimate 2016).

Population density:

22.3 per sq km.





Head of state:

President Nikenike Vurobaravu since 2022.

Head of government:

Prime Minister Ishmael Kalsakau since 2022.

Travel Advice

Before you travel, check the ‘Entry requirements’ section for Vanuatu’s current entry restrictions and requirements. These may change with little warning. Monitor this advice for the latest updates and stay in contact with your travel provider.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.

It is more important than ever to get travel insurance and check it provides sufficient cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.

Tropical Cyclones Judy and Kevin impacted the islands of Vanuatu between Wednesday 1 March to Saturday 4 March as Category 3-4 storms bringing destructive winds, heavy rainfall, coastal flooding and very rough seas with some storm surge. A State of Emergency has been declared and recovery efforts are underway. The main airport is now open and flights are resuming. Please check with your airline for the latest updates.

Vanuatu lies on the Pacific ‘Ring of Fire’ and regularly experiences natural disasters, including cyclones, volcanic activity, earthquakes and tsunamis, with over 2,000 seismic events reported each year. Alert levels and accessibility to volcanoes can change quickly. See Natural disasters

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Vanuatu, attacks cannot be ruled out. See Terrorism

Most visits to Vanuatu are trouble free. Crime levels are relatively low but following a series of recent incidents, residents and visitors should take particular care when walking at night and visiting remote areas.

Consular support may be limited in Vanuatu, however, the British Consulate-General in Sydney, Australia can provide consular support to British nationals.

Coronavirus travel health

On 5 March 2022, Vanuatu confirmed a first case of community transmission of COVID-19. Community cases have since been recorded widely across Vanuatu provinces. As of 16 June 2022, all islands and provinces have moved to Recovery Level 1. As a result, the nationwide Public Health Emergency has been lifted.

Check the Ministry of Health COVID-19 webpage  for the latest COVID-19 details and updates.

Scheduled commercial inbound international flights resumed from 1 July 2022. From 12 September 2022 travellers to Vanuatu do not require a pre-departure COVID-19 test. In addition, mask-wearing on the flight, whilst recommended, is no longer required. When in Vanuatu, any traveller who tests positive for COVID-19 or who develops symptoms of COVID-19 and cannot get tested is required to isolate. Foreign nationals are required to meet all medical expenses incurred in Vanuatu. Full details of the measures in place can be found on the Ministry of Health international Travel Health Requirements page.

Rapid antigen tests are available at community and private clinics. The Ministry of Health has advised that PCR tests are only available in Vanuatu at Vila Central Hospital (VCH), at a cost of VT25,000 per person, payable to the Government Cashier at Vila Central Hospital Administration building. Once an invoice has been issued, travellers should arrange their test by contacting Dr Vincent Atua: and George Junior Pakoa:

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Vanuatu on the TravelHealthPro website

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

International travel

Scheduled international flights to and from Vanuatu resumed with the national carrier on 1 July 2022. Check the Air Vanuatu website for availability and timings.

Before travelling you should check the COVID-19 regulations in place on the Ministry of Health Requirements for International Travel webpage.

You will also need to make your own transit arrangements at your point of arrival from Vanuatu. See Travel Advice pages for Australia and New Zealand for more details about the current transit procedures through these countries.

Before making your onward flight booking from your transit point, you should also check the current transit rules for any other countries you will be travelling through. Airlines may also have their own requirements for travellers including having to undertake a pre-departure COVID-19 test before boarding.

For travel to the UK, check the latest UK entry requirements in the ‘Returning to the UK’ section.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Vanuatu.

Travelling from and returning to the UK

Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID-19. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Vanuatu

Passengers should check with their airline or travel provider for details on any current restrictions on flights and ferries operating between islands.

Public places and services

Public places, shops, bars and restaurants are open with no restrictions, including the mandatory wearing of face masks. Hand washing before entering establishments is encouraged, but not usually enforced. Social distancing is encouraged in banks and supermarkets. There are no restrictions on large gatherings.


If you hold a short term visa for Vanuatu which is close to expiry, you should report to the Director of Immigration to have your visa extended.

Healthcare in Vanuatu

Medical care across Vanuatu is not as advanced as you would find in the UK. Access to medical services and the availability of goods could be impaired during the COVID-19 pandemic. View Health for further details on healthcare in Vanuatu.

The government of Vanuatu has introduced additional border protection and disease surveillance measures in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health

See also the guidance on healthcare if you’re waiting to return to the UK.

Further information

Monitor local developments on COVID-19 at the Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 Updates website.

For further UK government guidance on support you can access whilst abroad, visit our waiting to return guidance. This includes guidance on finance, health, and staying connected.

If you need urgent consular assistance, contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephone numbers are available 24/7.


Crime rates are low, but increasing. Burglaries are often accompanied by violence. Make sure you lock doors and windows at night. Street crime is also increasing and you should avoid making yourself an easy target, especially at night. There have been a number of attacks on tourists at nightclubs and bars in Port Vila. Check with the Vanuatu Tourist Office or your hotel on places where extra caution is required.

There have been several serious attacks on foreigners, including lone women, in isolated locations. Avoid visiting remote tourist sites or beaches alone. Where possible, travel as part of a larger group. 

Before you travel, make copies of your passport, travel documents and travellers cheques. Keep one copy with you in a separate place to the original and leave another copy with someone at home.

Road travel

You can drive in Vanuatu on your UK driving licence. General driving standards are below those of the UK.  Many vehicles, including public transport, are in a poor state of repair and may not be insured. Numerous roads are not properly surfaced, and driving can also be dangerous due to a lack of street lighting, and the presence of pedestrians. Extra care should be taken when driving, particularly at night, in heavy rain or after a prolonged dry period.

Air travel

Inter-island travel by the domestic airline (Air Vanuatu) is expensive and often subject to delays. Vanuatu’s outer island routes are serviced by small aircrafts, and airports and airstrips have quite basic facilities. 

Sea travel

Boat services between the islands are infrequent and can be unreliable. Inter-island boats should have a current sea-worthiness certificate, but many do not.


Seek local advice from the Provincial Council Office and elsewhere before swimming in Vanuatu. There are reports of water quality issues in some of the lagoons and sharks have been known to be present in the waters off Vanuatu, particularly around the islands of Malekula and Espiritu Santo.

Water sports

Many visitors to Vanuatu take part in water sports, including scuba diving and snorkelling without incident. However, deaths and serious accidents have occurred because of the lack of basic safety measures. Safety precautions and emergency responses may be less than those expected in the UK.

Vanuatu has two hyperbaric recompression chambers to provide medical assistance for dive-related injuries, both located in Port Vila.

Make sure your travel and medical insurance policy covers you for the activities you take part in.

Political situation

Following a snap Election on 13 October 2022, MPs elected Ishmael Kalsakau as the new Prime Minister on 4 November.

The President serves a five-year term. The current State President, Nikenike Vurobaravu, was elected on 23 July 2023.

Mobile phone services

There is a GSM mobile phone service in Vanuatu and you should contact your service provider to establish whether your phone will work in Vanuatu. Alternatively, SIM cards may be purchased from the local telephone companies Vodafone or Digicel.

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Vanuatu, attacks cannot be ruled out.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

You should respect local customs, which are strictly observed, and religious sensitivities.  

Do not wear beachwear when away from beaches and hotels. 

Homosexuality is legal in Vanuatu but open displays of affection between same-sex partners will attract adverse attention and may offend some. See our information and advice page for the LGBT community before you travel.

Drinking kava is an ancient tradition in Vanuatu. Kava is widely available at traditional ceremonies, at nakamals (kava bars) and at some hotels. Be aware of the British Medicine Controls Agency advice on kava consumption. It is illegal for supermarkets to sell alcohol between noon on a Saturday and 7am on a Monday. However, clubs bars and hotels may serve alcohol during these times.

Drug offences are punishable by fines, imprisonment or both. While there are no mandatory sentences for drug offences in Vanuatu, it is rare for a convicted person not to be fined or receive a jail sentence, even for ‘soft’ drug offences.

Most ni-Vanuatu (meaning people ‘of Vanuatu’) will allow you to take their photograph but you should always seek their permission first.

Land ownership in Vanuatu is an important and often sensitive issue. If you are travelling off the beaten track, be aware that you may be trespassing and required to pay a “visiting fee” to the landowner.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Vanuatu set and enforce entry rules. For further information contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to. You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Entry to Vanuatu

Borders are open and Air Vanuatu are running a full scheduled service from countries in the region. For more information you should refer to the Air Vanuatu website.

Travel via Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

Most passengers departing Vanuatu for the UK will need to transit Australia or New Zealand. For measures in place for travel and transit via Australia, see the Travel Advice pages for Australia.

For information on entry and transit requirements for New Zealand, see the Travel Advice pages for New Zealand. More information is also available from Immigration New Zealand.

For information on entry and transit requirements for Fiji, see the Travel Advice pages for Fiji. More information is also available from the Fijian Immigration Department website.

Regular entry requirements


You do not need a visa to visit Vanuatu. British passport holders are normally given permission to enter and remain in the country for up to 30 days on arrival. You must be in possession of an onward or return ticket.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry to Vanuatu.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Vanuatu.

If you have a health condition, or you are pregnant, you may need specialist healthcare abroad. Check whether your destination country can provide the healthcare you may need and ensure you have appropriate travel insurance for unexpected medical evacuation or local treatment.

See the Coronavirus travel health and Healthcare sections in the Coronavirus page for COVID-19 health information.

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).

Medical treatment

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.

Medical facilities in Vanuatu are basic but adequate for routine treatment but are limited in range and availability. More serious cases will require evacuation to Australia or New Zealand. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad, medical evacuation and repatriation.

Vanuatu sits along a volatile seismic strip called the ‘Ring of Fire’ in the Pacific. Volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and tsunamis are possible.

Tropical cyclones

The tropical cyclone season in Vanuatu normally runs from November to May. Throughout this period there is a high risk of strong winds and heavy rains with associated flooding, landslides and road closures. You should monitor local and international weather updates from the World Meteorological Organisation, the Vanuatu Meteorological Service, local newspapers and local radio.

See our tropical cyclones page for advice about what to do if you’re caught up in a storm.

Earthquakes and tsunamis

You should follow the VMGD website and their Facebook page for updates on seismic activity.

Vanuatu is prone to significant year round seismic and volcanic activity, with associated risks of tsunamis. They are over 2,000 seismic events reported each year, most events are small scale, although larger tremors and quakes of over 5 on the Richter scale do occur on a regular basis.

Further information on earthquakes can be found on the US Geological Survey website. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center and Vanuatu Meteorological Service provides real-time information on tsunamis in the region.

To learn more about what to do before, during and after an earthquake, see the website of the US Federal Emergency Management Agency.


There are several active volcanoes in Vanuatu, located on the islands of Tanna, Ambae, Ambrym, Lopevi, Vanua Lava and Gaua. You should monitor local media reports and follow the advice of local authorities when visiting these areas.

The Vanuatu government’s Mines and Geology Department monitor volcanos and provide advice on the level of risk. There are five alert levels for volcanoes; from zero (normal, low-level activity) up to five (very large eruption, island-wide danger). An alert level of three will often be the trigger for warnings to avoid the summit of the volcano and nearby areas. Even at lower levels, explosions and injuries from volcanic debris can occur.

Alert levels and accessibility to volcanoes can change unexpectedly contact the Vanuatu Tourism Office for the latest advice before travelling to the areas where volcanic activity may occur.

More information on volcanic activity can also be found at the Vanuatu Meteorology and Geohazards Department.

The local currency is the Vanuatu Vatu (VUV). Credit and debit cards are not frequently used in the country. You may find that some tourist resorts or restaurants accept credit or debit cards in Port Vila and Luganville but less so in the rest of Vanuatu. There are banking facilities and money exchange services in Port Vila through ANZ and BSP (Bank South Pacific) banks . ATM facilities covering most UK bank cards are available in many areas.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) in London on 020 7008 5000 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCDO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we cannot provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCDO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or cannot offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCDO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCDO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. Versions prior to 2 September 2020 will be archived as FCO travel advice. If you cannot find the page you’re looking for there, send the Travel Advice team a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry, or contact us on Twitter or Facebook. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.

A digital image at

Book a Hotel