World Travel Guide > Guides > Africa > Rwanda

Getting Around Rwanda


Akagera Aviation ( provides helicopter flights all over the country. Rwandair ( flies internally from Kigali to Kamembe Airport, near the southeastern town of Cyangugu.

Departure tax



There is a lot of work being done to improve the roads. In some places you can find smooth tarmac, while in others you can expect to bump along pot-holed dirt paths. Take extra care at night, as headlight use is erratic. During rainy season some roads can become impassable.

Side of the road


Road Quality

Some local roads are not paved and a 4-wheel drive vehicle is needed. There can be landslides on some of the major roads during annual rainfall in spring and autumn.

Car Hire

Europcar hires cars with a driver, or there's a choice of several local companies, with or without a driver. You can find these listed in the Eye magazine given away at the airport and in hotels (


Taxis can be found in large towns and cities; look for the official orange stripe. Fares are reasonable, but should be agreed in advance (ask a local if you think you are being overcharged). Tipping is not expected.


Bicycle and scooter taxis are the quickest and cheapest way to get around in the towns, but they are risky.


Minibus taxis provide links to and from all towns and some villages. Although it is not usual for foreigners to travel this way, they are quite safe and efficient. However you have to wait until they are full before departure if you get on at the start of the route. The Virunga Express and Onatracom Express provide more direct intercity links.


Rwanda drives on the right. It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving unless with a hands-free set. Seat belts must be worn in the front. Speed limits are 40kph (25mph) in the city and 60kph (37mph) outside the city. If the car in front is using the left indicator it often means it's not safe to overtake; the right indicator tells you the road ahead is clear.

Breakdown services

Most car hire companies can provide you with a number to call in the event of a breakdown. In case of accident, dial 113.


An International Driving Permit is required. An entry permit is needed if you have travelled from outside the country, plus your insurance document and driving licence.



You can hire a boat to take you from Gisenyi to Kibuye if you ask at one of the lakeside hotels.

Browse our Video Guides