World Travel Guide > Guides > Europe > Hungary

Hungary travel guide

About Hungary

Culturally and linguistically distinct from all of its immediate neighbours, Hungary is very much the ‘odd one out’ in Central Europe, but for all the most honourable reasons.

This is a nation whose capital, Budapest, can hold up a mirror to classical Vienna; it’s a world of well-preserved castles, seductively good wines and quiet stoic pride; a landscape of low-lying mountains, oak forests and thermal springs.

The Romans were the first to make use of the hot waters, originally for medicinal purposes. Today, the pursuit is relaxation and over time the bathhouses have grown into splendid architectural affairs, most notably in Budapest.

The capital is an elegant, stylish and lively city made up of two separate settlements clustered on either side of the Danube River: hilly Buda has a wealth of graceful Habsburg and neoclassical buildings, while sprawling Pest is its commercial centre with a generous scattering of art nouveau architecture and an ad-hoc party scene.

The city has long been the focus of Hungary’s artistic, musical and literary community and is by far the best place in the country for a choice of bars, restaurants and nightclubs.

Smaller cities are equally architecturally fascinating and deserving of a visit in their own right: Pécs for its museums; Eger for it’s fortifications and infamous Bull’s Blood Wine; and Györ whose grand Basilica houses the golden herm of László.

Beyond these urban centres, Hungary’s bathes in natural delights. South west of Budapest is Lake Balaton, Central Europe’s largest body of freshwater, where locals spend hot summers cooling off in waters that average 20°C (68°F).

In winter, Hungary freezes, and thrill seekers head north to the Bakony Hills for the chance to ski through the forests before unwinding with a dip in the thermal spa.

It may be landlocked, but Hungary is a country content on ploughing its own furrow no matter what seeds its neighbours are sewing and is all the better for it.

Key facts


93,028 sq km (35,918 sq miles).


9,821,318 (UN estimate 2016).

Population density:

106.4 per sq km.




Parliamentary Republic.

Head of state:

President János Áder since 2012.

Head of government:

Prime Minister Viktor Orbán since 2010.

Travel Advice

Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Hungary on the TravelHealthPro website.

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Hungary.

Returning to the UK

Travelling from and returning to the UK

Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting. If you will pass through a red list country, book your hotel quarantine package before travelling to the UK.

You are responsible for organising your own COVID-19 test, in line with UK government testing requirements. You should contact local authorities for information on testing facilities. A list of COVID-19 testing sites is outlined on the Hungarian National Centre for Public Health website (only available in Hungarian).

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Hungary

Everyone should comply with the measures put in place in Hungary to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Curfews are no longer in place and all shops and service providers are able to open as normal. Those who have received their first vaccine dose are issued with an Immunity Certification from the Government.

Wearing a face mask is mandatory in hospitals and social institutions, and on public transport. From 20 November, it is also compulsory to wear a face mask in indoor public spaces, including shops, museums, theatres and cinemas.

There is currently no requirement to produce an Immunity Certificate to enter restaurants, hotels and leisure facilities and attend cultural events with booked seating. Social distancing rules are currently not in force.

For sporting, dance and other indoor events, as well as outdoor events with more than 500 people attendance, including Christmas markets, entry is only allowed to holders of Immunity Certificates. Children aged under 18 may only attend if a holder of an Immunity Certificate or under the supervision of an adult holding an Immunity Certificate.

Family and private gatherings are allowed up to 100 people, weddings may take place with up to 400 people, and there are currently no limits for attending funerals. Visits to hospitals are not allowed. Visits to social care facilities are allowed, but it is mandatory to wear face masks. Please check with the hospital for specific restrictions before visiting.

Local authorities have some powers to introduce additional restrictions, so follow local instructions.

The full details are set out on the Hungarian government website.

Hungary will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 vaccination record. If you are travelling with a printed PDF proof of vaccination status, it must date from 1 November to ensure that the certificate can be scanned successfully, if domestic certification is required. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

Tested Positive

If you test positive for coronavirus during your stay in Hungary, you must self-isolate at your accommodation. You can leave your self-isolation when all of the following three conditions are met:

  • you have had no fever for 3 days;
  • your respiratory symptoms have ceased; and
  • 10 days have passed from the start of your on-set of symptoms or the date of your positive PCR test, whichever was earliest

You cannot leave your accommodation and you cannot have guests during your period of self-isolation. You can order groceries, food and medicine online and have it delivered to your home. In a medical emergency, you should call 112.

Resident permits

UK nationals living in Hungary should note that the National Directorate General for Aliens Policing has introduced changes in in-person appointments to help reduce the spread of the virus.

If you are a UK national residing in Hungary for over three months, and trying to register your stay, you should visit the webpage of the National Directorate General for Aliens Policing for guidance on how to do this.

Healthcare in Hungary

For contact details for English speaking doctors visit our list of healthcare providers.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health

View Health for further details on healthcare in Hungary.

See also the guidance on healthcare if you’re waiting to return to the UK.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Hungary

We will update this page when the Government of Hungary announces new information on the national vaccination programme. You can sign up to get email notifications when this page is updated.

The Hungary national vaccination programme started in December 2020 and is using the AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Janssen (Johnson and Johnson), Sinopharm and Sputnik V vaccines. The Government of Hungary has stated that British nationals resident in Hungary are eligible for vaccination if they choose to join the programme, including those unable to register for a TAJ number.

The Hungarian authorities have asked people to register their interest in receiving a vaccine on the National Health Insurance Fund of Hungary (NEAK) website (in Hungarian only). Once registered, the authorities will invite people for vaccination based on the order of priority determined by the national vaccination programme. You may check if your registration for the vaccine has been successful.

Those who have tested positive for coronavirus over the past 3 months can now also receive their first dose.

As of 1 August, if you are over 18 and have received both the first and second doses of your C-19 vaccination in Hungary, you are eligible for a third (booster) dose. The third dose should come at least four months after the second one. You can book your third dose online. Booking is currently available only for those who have a Hungarian health insurance (TAJ) number.

Vaccinated persons and those who have previously contracted the COVID-19 virus are eligible for a Hungarian Immunity Certificate.

If you have received your vaccination in Hungary but have not received your immunity certificate, you should check on the status of your certificate with your local government office (Kormanyablak) either in person or online (Hungarian Government Services System (Ügyfélkapu) account required). If they say that there is not enough information in their database about your vaccination, then you should ask the doctor who arranged your vaccine to check if your details are correctly entered in the Hungarian Electronic Health Service System (EESZT) as a foreigner, along with an ID number issued by your government.

If you are a permanent resident in Hungary and received your vaccination abroad (in the UK) and you would like to receive a Hungarian immunity certificate, you should contact your local government office (Kormanyablak) either in person or online (Hungarian Government Services System (Ügyfélkapu) account required) to register your vaccination and apply for an immunity certificate.

Find out more, including about vaccines that are authorised in the UK or approved by the World Health Organisation, on the COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad. If you’re a British national living in Hungary, you should seek medical advice from your local healthcare provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national programme where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.

If you receive your COVID-19 vaccination in Hungary, you can get an EU Digital COVID Certificate from the national authorities. The Certificate proves that you have been vaccinated against COVID-19, received a negative test result, or recovered from COVID-19. It will help facilitate your travel within the EU and, in some countries, you can use it to demonstrate your COVID-19 status to businesses and other organisations. For further information visit the European Commission’s EU Digital COVID Certificate page.


For information on financial support you can access whilst abroad, visit our financial assistance guidance.

Further information

Further advice and information is available from the Hungarian government website (in Hungarian and English). Call the Hungarian government’s dedicated coronavirus hotline on +36 80 277 455 or +36 80 277 456 if you believe you have symptoms and ask for an English speaking operator.

If you need urgent consular assistance, contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephone numbers are available 24/7.


Take sensible precautions against petty crime. Bag snatching and pick-pocketing are common, especially in Budapest. Be particularly careful on busy public transport, in train stations, at markets and at other places frequented by tourists. Theft of and from vehicles is common. Don’t carry large amounts of cash.

Always ask to see the menu and price list before ordering drinks or food and check your bill carefully before settling up. Some restaurants and bars have been known to charge extortionate amounts and take tourists to cash points to demand more money. You should report any such incident to the police.

Some taxi drivers are accomplices in these frauds. They may receive a commission to recommend certain bars, clubs and restaurants to passengers. Never ask a taxi driver to recommend a bar or club. If a driver offers to take you to one, or you are approached on the street with an invitation to enter a club, treat that advice with caution. As a general rule it is better to phone for a taxi from a reputable local company. Be careful in establishments where menus do not properly display prices.

There have been some reported instances of drinks being spiked. Be sure to buy your own drinks and keep sight of them at all times.

Local travel

Public transport in Budapest

Foreign visitors are often caught out by the ticket system in Budapest, and fined by ticket inspectors. Follow the passenger information notices, which are usually printed in English. Validate your ticket before starting your journey (before you get to the platform if travelling by Metro; and immediately after boarding buses, trams or trolley buses). Keep your ticket until the end of your journey and show it to inspectors on request. You have to validate another ticket every time you change lines.

A special ticket is required for use on the night service network.

All passengers on public transport in Budapest should wear a face mask, with the aim of preventing the spread of COVID-19. Fines of around £40 can be levied for non-compliance.

For more information on ticket conditions and prices, visit the website of the Budapest Transport Authority.

Road travel

In 2019 there were 603 road deaths in the Hungary (source: Department for Transport). This equates to 6.2 road deaths per 100,000 of population and compares to the UK average of 2.6 road deaths per 100,000 of population in 2019.

If you are planning to drive in Hungary, see information on Driving Abroad.

Licences and documents

You can drive in Hungary with a UK driving licence.

When driving, you must carry with you:

  • a reflective jacket
  • a warning triangle
  • a first aid kit

You should also carry with you:

  • your driving licence
  • your car papers
  • your insurance document
  • your MOT certificate
  • your passport or ID and those of your passengers

If you’re living in Hungary, check the Living in Guide for information on requirements for residents.

Driving a British car abroad

You may need a GB sticker or a UK sticker to drive your car outside the UK. From 28 September UK stickers will replace GB stickers. Check the GOV.UK Displaying number plates website for more information on what to do if you are driving outside the UK before, on or after 28 September 2021.

Road safety

Driving regulations

It is illegal to drive under the influence of alcohol.

You must use headlights on roads outside towns even in daytime.

In winter, you must equip your car for severe conditions.

Hungary operates a toll system for the use of some major roads in the country. You must buy a motorway vignette at a petrol station, post office or online in advance, in order to use these roads. Further information about driving in Hungary can be found in the guides provided by the AA, RAC and European Commission

Haulage vehicles

If you are driving a large haulage vehicle through Hungary, make sure you have full vehicle documentation. International loads must be supported by a TIR carnet providing a full inventory of the goods being carried. You must leave a financial bond with the Hungarian customs when transiting Hungary with a cargo. The financial bond, minus an administration fee is returned on leaving the country.

If you are planning to transit Hungary with consignments of humanitarian aid as relief following a disaster, or medical aid, you should contact the Hungarian Embassy in London in advance to apply for a waiver.

Rail travel

If you travel by overnight train, try to avoid travelling alone and secure your compartment from the inside.

Face masks on trains are mandatory.

Although there is no recent history of terrorism in Hungary, attacks can’t be ruled out.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

You should be aware of the risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks which could be in public areas, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

There is a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Carry your passport at all times. You must be able to show some form of ID if requested. A photocopy is not acceptable.

Hungarian laws on the possession and use of drugs are strict.

Same-sex relationships and civil partnerships are legal in Hungary but same-sex marriages aren’t recognised in Hungarian law. Budapest is generally tolerant and open; the city hosts the largest Pride Festival in Central Europe with an annual turnout of over 10,000 people. Recent Pride events have passed without incident, but historically there have been counter-events which have led to confrontation. You should be aware that outside of Budapest public displays of affection may be frowned upon or attract unwanted attention. See our information and advice page for the LGBT community before you travel.

Taking food and drink into the EU

You cannot take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries. There are some exceptions for medical reasons, for example certain amounts of powdered infant milk, infant food, or pet food required for medical reasons. Check the rules about taking food and drink into the EU on the European Commission website.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Hungary set and enforce entry rules. For further information contact their embassy, high commission or consulate. You may also check with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and travel documents meet their requirements.

If you are travelling to Hungary for work, read the guidance on visas and permits as the rules have changed since 1 January 2021.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Entry to Hungary

Due to the coronavirus pandemic there are some restrictions on entering Hungary.

However, you can enter Hungary by road, rail and waterway from all the countries neighbouring Hungary (Croatia, Austria, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine) without any epidemiological restrictions, regardless of your nationality and coronavirus immunity.

As of 29 October a negative COVID-19 PCR test for British nationals entering Hungary is no longer required if they have been fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme and 14 days have passed since the last dose of their COVID-19 vaccination.

Demonstrating your COVID-19 status

Hungary will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 vaccination record and proof of COVID-19 vaccination issued in the Crown Dependencies. Your final vaccine dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to travel. If you are travelling with a printed PDF proof of vaccination status, it must date from 1 November 2021 to ensure that the certificate can be scanned successfully. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

The EU Covid certificate is also accepted for entry.

Children (under 18) may enter Hungary without certification and be exempt from any COVID-19-related measure if travelling under the supervision of an adult carrying the UK’s proof of COVID-19 vaccination record, or an EU Covid certificate.

British Nationals who are not fully vaccinated

For British Nationals who are not fully vaccinated, a negative PCR test conducted in the previous 72 hours of arrival is required for entry into Hungary. For the negative PCR test to be accepted, the document proving the PCR test result should be either in Hungarian or English and should contain the following data:

  • date;
  • type;
  • result of test; and
  • evidence of where the test was performed

You must also meet other general conditions for entry (e.g. a valid travel document).

Residents or family

UK nationals may enter Hungary if they hold a permanent residence permit or a permit allowing them to stay in Hungary for at least 90 days, and can present their documents to the authorities at the border. UK nationals travelling with a family member who is a Hungarian citizen or resident should also be allowed entry. If you do not possess a Hungary issued Immunity certificate, an EU certificate or cannot show evidence of full vaccination under the UK vaccination programme (in the form of the NHS COVID pass on the NHS App or in the printout form), or have a negative PCR test or meet one of the exemptions, you will be required to quarantine upon arrival.


UK nationals may also enter Hungary without any epidemiological restrictions if they are travelling in the following circumstances:

  • arriving for the purpose of business or trade activity - see below
  • transiting through Hungary through travel corridors – see below
  • operating cargo transport
  • people able to prove credibly that have recovered from COVID-19 within 6 months of their travel
  • as part of a military convoy
  • people travelling on diplomatic or official passports

Business and trade activity

Foreign (including UK) nationals entering Hungary for business purposes, may enter the country without epidemiological restrictions.

You will need to show proof of an essential business requirement for entering Hungary, unless one of the following applies:

  • You are in possession of a Hungary issued Immunity Certificate
  • You have an EU Covid certificate
  • You have been vaccinated under the UK’s vaccination scheme and have proof of COVID-19 vaccination record on the NHS App (or if you are travelling with a printed PDF proof of vaccination status, it must date from 1 November)

If you do not meet one of the above criteria, you will need proof of an essential business requirement for entering Hungary, e.g. an official letter from your company that includes contact details for verification purposes, or an invitation to a business event. You can provide this on paper or electronically.

It is possible to transit Hungary without any epidemiological restrictions but you must provide proof that you are entering Hungary for the purposes of travelling directly to another destination outside Hungary; you must also explain the reason you are travelling and demonstrate that you are able to transit to your final destination, providing, for example, a hotel reservation or proof of address in another country, a travel ticket, or similar evidence.

Testing / screening on arrival

Unless in possession of a Hungary issued Immunity Certificate, or arriving on land from one of Hungary’s neighbouring countries , people entering Hungary will be subject to a temperature check on arrival.

People entering Hungary must agree to enter mandatory quarantine, usually at home, unless one of the following applies:

  • You are in possession a Hungary issued Immunity Certificate
  • You have an EU Covid certificate
  • You have been vaccinated under the UK’s vaccination scheme and have proof of COVID-19 vaccination record on the NHS App (or if you are travelling with a printed PDF proof of vaccination status, it must date from 1 November)
  • You have a negative PCR test
  • You are arriving by road, rail and waterway from one of Hungary’s neighbouring countries,
  • You meet one of the exemptions

If you are subject to mandatory quarantine, you must notify the authorities of the location. If you have a suitable device, you must download software for police to monitor your quarantine. If on-site checks cannot be carried out in any other way, those in quarantine must allow police to enter their home.

If you have no place of residence in Hungary and have no Hungary issued Immunity Certificate, you must enter quarantine at a government-designated location. Quarantine is legally enforced and a fine of around £375 equivalent is levied for breaking the rules.

It is possible to leave quarantine early following two negative COVID-19 tests within 5 days of each other but at least 48 hours apart. Tests are self-funded and your local environmental health office will need to give permission for you to leave quarantine for testing, and also to end quarantine early after showing evidence of two negative test results.

The price of coronavirus tests are capped at Ft 19,500. Having the test conducted at home may incur an additional charge. See the list of environmental health offices in Budapest (in Hungarian); you must contact the office covering your place of residence. There is no single registry of environmental health offices outside Budapest; you will need to carry out an internet search for your local ‘Népegészségügyi Osztály’.

The government’s website has a list of medical centres (in Hungarian) where testing is available. Some offer home testing for an additional fee.

Regular entry requirements


The rules for travelling or working in European countries changed on 1 January 2021:

  • you can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training
  • if you are travelling to Hungary and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days
  • to stay longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the Hungarian government’s entry requirements. Check with the Hungarian Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit you may need
  • if you stay in Hungary with a residence permit or long-stay visa, this does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit

Any time you spent in Hungary or other Schengen countries before 1 January 2021 does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

At Hungarian border control, you may need to queue in separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.

Check your passport is stamped if you enter or exit the Schengen area through Hungary as a visitor. Border guards will use passport stamps to check you’re complying with the 90-day visa-free limit for short stays in the Schengen area. If relevant entry or exit stamps are not in your passport, border guards will presume that you have overstayed your visa-free limit.

You can show evidence of when and where you entered or exited the Schengen area, and ask the border guards to add this date and location in your passport. Examples of acceptable evidence include boarding passes and tickets.

You may also need to:

  • show a return or onward ticket
  • show you have enough money for your stay

If you are resident in Hungary your passport should not be stamped. You should proactively show your proof of residence as well as your valid passport at Hungarian border control. For further information, see our Living in Hungary guide.

Passport validity

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must meet the Schengen area rules.

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

  • less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

We are asking the European Commission to clarify the 10-year rule. Their guidance for Schengen border guards may not be updated until the spring of 2022. Until then, for some Schengen countries your passport may need to be less than 10 years old during your whole visit, and the 3 months at the end of your visit may need to be within 10 years of your passport’s issue date.

Check both the issue date and the expiry date in your passport. If you renewed your passport early, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. This could affect the requirement for your passport to be less than 10 years old.

Contact your travel provider or embassy of the country you are visiting if you think that your passport does not meet both these requirements. Renew your passport if you need to.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Hungary.


Entry into Hungary can be barred if you have failed to pay a previous fine in Hungary. Contact the Hungarian Embassy in London for guidance on paying any outstanding fines before you next enter Hungary.

Customs regulations

Community regulations ensure the free movement of goods between EU member states. This means that no customs procedures are required for exporting goods from Hungary to another EU member state and/or for importing goods from a member state to Hungary. The export and import of goods purchased for non-commercial purposes (for personal use or as gifts) while travelling is not restricted, however, the transport of certain goods (such as: pets, hunting weapons, alcohol and tobacco products, medicines containing drugs, etc.) within the European Union is restricted or subject to special permissions.

Check the customs regulations before entering or leaving Hungary on the National Tax and Customs Administration of Hungary website.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Hungary on the TravelHealthPro website.

See the healthcare information in the Coronavirus section for information on what to do if you think you have coronavirus while in Hungary.

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).


You should get a free UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. If you already have an EHIC it will still be valid as long as it remains in date.

The GHIC or EHIC entitles you to state provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as Hungarian nationals. If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the NHS Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999 to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

It’s important to take out appropriate travel insurance for your needs. A GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both before you travel. It does not cover all health-related costs, for example, medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment and non-urgent treatment. Read more about what your travel insurance should cover.

If you’re living in Hungary, you can also find more information on healthcare for residents in our Living In Hungary guide.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment you should contact your insurance/medical assistance company immediately.

The local currency is Hungarian Forint.

Legislation on the controls of cash entering or leaving the EU applies in all Member States. Any person entering or leaving the EU will have to declare the cash that they are carrying if this amounts to 10,000 Euros (or equivalent) or more; this includes cheques, travellers’ cheques, money orders, etc. This will not apply to anyone travelling via the EU to a non-EU country, as long as the original journey started outside of the EU and will not apply to those travelling within the EU.

Don’t use street money changers. Take care not to accept bank notes that are no longer valid but which are still in circulation. There have been a small number of reports of taxi drivers deliberately passing these notes to tourists - as well as notes from neighbouring countries that are not valid in Hungary.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) in London on 020 7008 5000 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCDO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCDO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCDO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCDO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. Versions prior to 2 September 2020 will be archived as FCO travel advice. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send us a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.

Book a Hotel