the fp is money-duty-free
Money and duty free for Hungary
Currency and Money
Hungarian Forint (HUF; symbol Ft). Notes are in denominations of Ft20,000, 10,000, 5,000, 2,000, 1,000, and 500. Coins are in denominations of Ft200, 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5. A large number of commemorative coins in circulation are legal tender.
It is possible to withdraw cash by credit card at many post offices. American Express, Cirrus, Diners Club, MasterCard and Visa are accepted. Credit and debit cards can be used to withdraw money from ATMs, which are found throughout the country.
Credit and debit cards can be used to withdraw money from ATMs, which are reliable and widely available throughout the country.
Accepted in most post offices and banks. To avoid additional exchange rate charges, travellers are advised to take travellers cheques in Euros or US Dollars.
Mon-Thurs 0800-1700, Fri 0800-1600.
There are no restrictions on the import or export of local or foreign currency. However, amounts exceeding €10,000 or equivalent must be declared if travelling from or to a country outside the European Union.
Currency can be exchanged at hotels, banks, post offices, bureaux de change, airports, railway stations, travel agencies and some restaurants throughout the country. Automatic exchange machines are available in Budapest and other main tourist centres.
Hungary duty free
Hungary is within the European Union. If you are travelling from the UK, you are entitled to buy fragrance, skincare, cosmetics, Champagne, wine, selected spirits, fashion accessories, gifts and souvenirs - all at tax-free equivalent prices.
If you are travelling from within the EU, there is no limit on the amount or value of goods you may import, providing your goods are for personal consumption. Goods imported for commercial purposes are subject to duty and the following guideline amounts are in place to determine whether this is the case:
• 800 cigarettes or 400 cigarillos or 200 cigars or 1kg of tobacco.
• 10L of spirits over 22%, 20L of alcoholic beverages less than 22%, 90L of wine (including a maximum of 60L of sparkling wine) and 110L of beer.
If you are arriving from a non-EU country, the following goods may be imported into Hungary by travellers over 17 years of age without incurring customs duty:
• 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco (if arriving by air).
• 40 cigarettes or 20 cigarillos or 10 cigars or 50g of tobacco (if arriving by other means).
• 4L of wine and 16L of beer and 1L of spirits over 22% or 2L of alcoholic beverages less than 22%.
• Other goods up to the value of €430 for air travellers and €300 for other travellers (reduced to €150 for children under 15).
Meat or milk products and potted or rooted plants from outside the EU. Pornography, drugs and unlicensed weapons.
Raw meat or milk products, potted or rooted plants. You can must obtain a licence to export cultural goods which are more than 50 years old or have a commercial value of more than Ft50,000.