the fp is money-duty-free
Money and duty free for Slovakia
Currency and Money
Euro (EUR; symbol €) = 100 cents. Notes are in denominations of €500, 200, 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5. Coins are in denominations of €2 and 1, and 50, 20, 10 and 5 cents.
Major credit cards (American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard and Visa) and debit cards (Maestro and Visa Electron) are widely accepted.
ATMs are widely available in Slovakia and machines are generally reliable.
American Express, Thomas Cook and Visa traveller's cheques are accepted in banks and at bureaux de change. Exchange rate charges are at least 1% of the nominal cheque value. To avoid additional charges, travellers are advised to take traveller's cheques in Euros, US Dollars or Pounds Sterling.
Generally Mon-Fri 0800-1800.
There are no restrictions on the import or export of local or foreign currency. However, amounts exceeding €10,000 or equivalent must be declared if travelling from or to a country outside the European Union.
Foreign currency (including traveller's cheques) can be exchanged at bureaux de change, main hotels, all banks, road border crossings, as well as major travel agencies.
Slovakia duty free
If you are travelling from within the EU, there is no limit on the amount or value of goods you may import, providing your goods are for personal consumption. Goods imported for commercial purposes are subject to duty and the following guideline amounts are in place to determine whether this is the case:
• 800 cigarettes or 400 cigarillos or 200 cigars or 1kg of tobacco.
• 10L of spirits over 22% volume, 20L of alcoholic beverages less than 22% volume, 90L of wine (no more than 60L of sparkling wine) and 110L of beer.
If you are arriving from a non-EU country, the following goods may be imported into Slovakia by persons over 17 years of age without incurring customs duty:
• 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco (if arriving by air).
• 40 cigarettes or 20 cigarillos or 10 cigars or 50g of tobacco (if arriving by road or rail).
• 4L of wine and 16L of beer and 1L of spirits over 22% volume or 2L of alcoholic beverages less than 22% volume.
• Other goods up to the value of €430 for air travellers and €300 for other travellers (reduced to €150 for children under 15).
Unlicensed firearms and ammunition, meat and dairy products from outside the EEA, and endangered species (unless you have a permit).
Endangered species without a permit.