Quebec travel guide

About Quebec

Chic cities, eye-catching landscapes and welcoming people, passionate about their heritage: Québec has created a French-North American cocktail, and it tastes good.

Canada’s largest province encompasses vast tracts of barren mountains, 13,323km (8,279 miles) of coastline, looming canyons and craggy fjords. Thrilling sights grab you at every turn as you explore this mainly French-speaking region, where you can swim with beluga whales in Saguenay Fjord, visit 400-year-old clifftop houses on the Chemin du Roy and spot herds of caribou roaming the Parc National des Grands-Jardins.

Alternatively, you could don the Lycra and pedal around La Route Verte, an immense 5,000km (3,100 miles) network of cycle trails, which take riders through the pretty villages of the Eastern Townships, along the stunning coast of Lac Saint-Jean and down the disused Laurentides railway.

Québec is a giant water park: there are countless sandy beaches, lakes and rivers for swimming; the St Lawrence River is a magnet for kayakers, who also have a phenomenal number of inland waterways to choose from, such as the Bonaventure River in the Gaspé Peninsula.

Hikers can enjoy 100km (62 miles) of mountainous trails on the Traversée de Charlevoix or trek Québec’s portion of the International Appalachian Trail. In winter, skiers rip up the slopes at Mont Tremblant.

Craving city action? Hip and happening Montreal is an alluring blend of glitzy skyscrapers and historic cobblestone quarters, with cosmopolitan neighbourhoods and a buzzing cultural scene. As for UNESCO-listed Québec City, you can have a ball diving in and out of tiny eateries and bijou boutiques tucked among the fortified city’s 17th-century alleyways.

Key facts


1,542,056 sq km (595,391 sq miles).


8.16 million (2016).

Population density:

6 per sq km.


Québec City.

Travel Advice

Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Canada on the TravelHealthPro website

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Canada.

Returning to the UK

When you return, you must follow the rules for entering the UK.

You are responsible for organising your own COVID-19 test, in line with UK government testing requirements. You should contact local authorities for information on testing facilities.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Canada

To help curb the spread of coronavirus, provincial governments have introduced a number of measures. There are some regional variations, but they generally include:

  • limit on numbers in bars and restaurants and at large gatherings in affected cities and regions

  • mandatory wearing of face masks in indoor public settings

Public spaces and services

Anyone showing symptoms associated with coronavirus will be barred from domestic flights and some inter-city train services. Non-medical face masks or face coverings are required for all flights to and from Canadian airports, and within airport terminals. Anyone who cannot wear a face mask for medical reasons must be in possession of a medical certificate.

The Canadian authorities recommend the use of non-medical masks/facial coverings when it is not possible to consistently maintain a 2-metre physical distance from others, including on public transportation. Some local transport authorities are making this a mandatory requirement. You should ensure that you are in possession of a mask/facial covering when using public transport in the event you are requested by transport operators to wear one.

Federal, provincial and local authorities may introduce further restrictions at short notice, including the requirement to wear a face mask or face covering in public or enclosed spaces, closing provincial borders, internal travel restrictions, a provisional ban on temporary foreign workers, or mandatory self-isolation for people arriving from other provinces. You should comply with the rules and advice of local authorities in relation to coronavirus. Check guidance for each province.

Healthcare in Canada

If you develop coronavirus symptoms whilst in Canada, you should seek medical assistance and follow the advice of local authorities. Public Health Canada is publishing updates and guidance. There is also an information service at +1-833-784-4397. These Twitter accounts are also official sources of information and guidance:

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health.

View Health for further details on healthcare in Canada.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Canada

Wherever possible British nationals should aim to be vaccinated in the country where they live. We will update this page when the Government of Canada announces new information on the national vaccination programme. You can sign up to get email notifications when this page is updated.

The Canadian national vaccination programme started in December 2020 and is using the AstraZeneca, Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines. British nationals resident in Canada are eligible for vaccination. The Canadian authorities have issued guidance on how to get a vaccine in Canada.

Find out more, including about vaccines that are authorised in the UK or approved by the World Health Organisation, on the COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad.

If you’re a British national living in Canada, you should seek medical advice from your local healthcare provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national programme where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.


For information on financial support you can access whilst abroad, visit our financial assistance guidance.

Further information

If you need urgent consular assistance, contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephone numbers are available 24/7.


Take sensible precautions to protect yourself from petty crime. Don’t leave your handbag or luggage unattended. Thieves often target tourist hotels. Keep valuables including your passport in a hotel safe. Leave copies of important documents with family and friends in the UK. Carry a photocopy of your passport for ID. Keep luggage out of sight in cars.

If you need the police, call 911 or 0 and ask the operator to connect you. There is no charge for emergency calls placed from a public pay phone. If you lose your passport, contact the British High Commission or Consulate immediately.

Road travel

Each province and territory has the authority to establish its own traffic and safety laws.

Seat belts are compulsory. Right turns on red lights are generally allowed, but at some junctions in towns and cities, you can only turn right on a green light. In some parts of Quebec, right turns on red lights are not allowed.

You can drive a car in Canada using a full UK driving licence. However, some individual car hire companies may require you to have an International Driving Permit - you’re advised to check your car hire company’s requirements before you travel. Carry your licence with you at all times.

Take out full insurance cover if you hire a vehicle.

Obey speed limits and take extra care when travelling on country roads. Watch out for wild animals.

Winter driving conditions can be extreme. Monitor local news and weather broadcasts and take advice before driving in winter. Snow tyres are required in some provinces.

For detailed information on road conditions throughout Canada and safety tips, see the Government of Canada, the Canadian Automobile Association and the Travel Canada websites.

Air travel

Check with your airline and Canadian Air Transport Security Authority for information on screening procedures and prohibited/restricted items on board an aircraft.


If you are hiking or camping, be considerate and cautious of local wildlife. Take all rubbish with you, and treat any food items with great care to avoid attracting animals to your site. Animals with nearby young or nests will be particularly aggressive when protecting their territory. Research the region and learn how best to deal with the local wildlife you might encounter. Take particular care if you’re touring an area where bears have been sighted. Keep a safe and legal distance from any wildlife including marine animals and birds and closely follow park regulations.

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Canada. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners. You should monitor media reports and remain vigilant.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

The main threat comes from individuals who may have been inspired by extremist ideology to carry out so-called ‘lone actor’ attacks.

Attacks could take place with little or no notice.

Notable recent attacks include:

On 6 June 2021, four people were killed and one injured when they were intentionally struck by a vehicle in London, Ontario. The suspect has been arrested and charged.

On 24 February 2020, one woman was killed and two others were wounded in a machete attack at a massage parlour in Toronto. Police upgraded the murder charges to include terrorist activity as an aggravating factor in the attack.

On 21 February 2020, one person was killed at random with a hammer in Scarborough. Police have arrested and charged the attacker who is believed to have carried out the attack for the purpose of terrorism.

The Canadian government’s threat level for Canada is published on the Government of Canada website.

There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Canada set and enforce entry rules. For further information contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to. You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Entry into Canada and exit from Canada depends on your vaccination status and whether you have the right to do so e.g. as a Canadian national. Use the online tool, ‘Find out if you can travel to Canada’ to find out if you are eligible to enter Canada. The Government of Canada announced on 19 November 202 that, as of 15 January 2022, the exemptions in entry requirements for certain groups of travellers will change.

If you are fully vaccinated

Fully vaccinated foreign nationals can enter Canada for discretionary (non-essential) reasons, such as tourism, but you must:

  • be fully vaccinated: you must have received, and show proof of, the full series, or a combination of, vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to entering Canada. Currently, those vaccines are Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson).
  • The Government of Canada has announced that, effective 30 November 2021, it will expand the list of COVID-19 vaccines that travellers can receive to be considered fully vaccinated for the purpose of travel to Canada. The list will include Sinopharm, Sinovac and COVAXIN.
  • have a valid pre-arrival COVID-19 molecular test result taken no more than 72 hours before your scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, or a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days before departure to Canada. Antigen tests, often called “rapid tests” are not accepted;
  • have no COVID symptoms;
  • submit your mandatory information via ArriveCAN (App or website), including proof of vaccination in English or French and a quarantine plan in case you do not meet the necessary requirements at the border;
  • be admissible under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
  • take a test on arrival, if selected.

If you do not have a valid test result, you will be denied boarding or entry. If you are travelling from a country where molecular testing is unavailable you must quarantine for 14 days.

Further details are available on the COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada web page.

Effective 30 November 2021, fully vaccinated individuals with right of entry to Canada who depart and re-enter the country within 72 hours of leaving Canada will not have to present a pre-entry molecular test. This exemption is only for trips originating in Canada taken by fully vaccinated Canadian citizens, permanent residents and certain other categories, who depart and re-enter by land or by air and can demonstrate that they have been away from Canada for less than 72 hours. Further details are available on the Public Health Agency of Canada’s website.

If you qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption, you are exempt from the Day 8 test. Most fully vaccinated travellers won’t need to take an arrival test but you may be randomly selected for border surveillance testing upon arrival. If selected, you must take the test or you will be subject to quarantine and penalties/fines. You do not need to quarantine while awaiting test results. You should comply with any additional screening measures.

If you cannot demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated, you must take an additional test on arrival and a further test on Day 8 of their 14-day self-isolation period. Further information is available on Public Health Agency of Canada’s website. For questions about travel during the coronavirus pandemic, contact Health Canada.

Fully vaccinated travellers who are eligible to enter Canada do not need to quarantine.

If you are not exempt you are legally required to self-isolate for 14 days. Heavy penalties apply if you fail to comply. You must also produce a credible self-isolation plan. An inadequate plan would include scenarios such as planning to stay with elderly relatives or failing to have a set destination. If you have symptoms or an unsuitable quarantine plan, follow the directions provided by the government representative.

Further details are available on the COVID-19 entering Canada as a fully vaccinated traveller webpage.

If you are not fully vaccinated

People who are not fully vaccinated, but are eligible to enter Canada by right, include Canadian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate and extended family, temporary foreign workers and most international students. You must quarantine, complete all testing requirements (pre-arrival, upon arrival/day 1 and on day 8). You must also:

  • have a valid pre-arrival COVID-19 molecular test result taken no more than 72 hours before your scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, or a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days before departure to Canada. Antigen tests, often called “rapid tests” are not accepted;
  • have no COVID symptoms;
  • submit your mandatory information via ArriveCAN (App or website), including proof of vaccination in English or French, and a quarantine plan
  • be admissible under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
  • take a test on arrival, if selected.

If you do not have a valid test result, you will be denied boarding or entry.

You must wear a non-medical mask or face covering until you get to your place of self-isolation. Further information is available on Public Health Agency of Canada’s website. For questions about travel during the coronavirus pandemic, contact Health Canada.

You are legally required to self-isolate for 14 days. Heavy penalties apply if you fail to comply. You must also produce a credible self-isolation plan. An inadequate plan would include scenarios such as planning to stay with elderly relatives or failing to have a set destination. If you have symptoms or an unsuitable quarantine plan, follow the directions provided by the government representative.

Guidance for everyone entering Canada

When you fly, air operators must complete a basic health assessment of every passenger. No passengers who are showing symptoms of coronavirus will be allowed to board. You must wear a non-medical face mask or face covering to fly to and from Canadian airports, and in airport terminals. If you cannot wear a face mask for medical reasons, you must be in possession of a medical certificate.

If your final destination is Canada you must submit your information digitally through Canada’s ArriveCAN (App or website), within 72 hours before your arrival in Canada. You must show your ArriveCAN receipt when at the border, as well as evidence that you have submitted your details digitally.

International flights are operating at 10 airports. You should check with your airline before you travel for the most up to date information.

Note the new specific requirements for travellers departing from Canada by air.

Cruise ships with overnight accommodation allowed to carry more than 100 passengers cannot operate in Canadian waters until 31 October 2021. Read further information on COVID-19 measures for cruise ships and other passenger vessels in Canada’s COVID-19 Cruise ship travel page.

If you are already in Canada and your visa has expired, or is about to expire, find out what to do if you are a visitor, temporary worker or student.

Transiting Canada

If you’re planning to transit via Canada to reach the UK, exceptions apply. You must:

  • plan your travel so you arrive and depart from the same airport within 24 hours (Domestic transfers are not permitted)
  • check your baggage through to a destination outside Canada
  • ensure connections occur on the same day at all Canadian airports except Toronto Pearson (YYZ)

Overnight connections are not possible at:

  • Montréal-Trudeau (YUL)
  • Calgary International (YYC)
  • Vancouver International (YVR)

Canadian authorities require passengers to wear a face covering on flights to and from Canada, and in airport terminals in Canada. You must demonstrate that they have the necessary face mask or face covering during the boarding process. If you cannot wear a face mask for medical reasons, you must be in possession of a medical certificate. Find out more on the Transiting Through Canada webpage.

If you are transiting through Canada, you must obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA), unless you are otherwise exempted (for example, if you have a valid Canadian visa or a permanent resident card).

If you have any further questions, you should contact your airline, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, or your nearest Canadian high commission, embassy or consulate.

Departing Canada by air

From 30 October 2021, everyone aged 12 and above must be fully vaccinated to depart from Canadian airports on both domestic and international flights, or travel on VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains. There are very limited exceptions. This will also apply for cruise ships when the cruise season commences in 2022.

To allow time to become fully vaccinated, until 30 November only, a valid molecular COVID-19 test within 72 hours of travel will be accepted as an alternative to proof of full vaccination. Further information is available on Transport Canada’s website.

Regular entry requirements


British Citizens don’t usually need a visa to visit Canada for short periods, but you’ll need to get an Electronic Travel Authorisation before you travel (see below).

If you have a different type of British nationality or intend to travel for a longer period, such as for work or study, check entry requirements with the Canadian High Commission. Effective from 31 July 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photos (biometrics) at a visa application centre when applying for a study or work permit, or permanent residence. When you arrive in Canada, you will need to be able to show that you have enough funds available to support yourself during your stay, even if you’re staying with family and friends.

If you have any doubts about whether you’re eligible to enter Canada (eg if you have a criminal record or have been arrested even if it did not result in a conviction), or about visa matters generally, contact the Canadian High Commission before you travel.

Some unauthorised websites charge for submitting visa applications. These websites are not endorsed by or associated with the Canadian government. Be wary of such sites and businesses, particularly those that seek additional fees.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)

Visitors travelling to Canada by air are now expected to get an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) to enter Canada.

If you’re visiting Canada you’ll need an eTA to board your flight unless you’re otherwise exempted (for example, if you have a valid Canadian visa or a permanent resident card). If you have British-Canadian dual nationality you won’t be able to apply for an eTA and you’ll need to present a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada.

If you’re travelling by land or sea, you won’t need an eTA when you enter Canada. However, you must travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

For more information about the eTA system, and to apply online, visit the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) website.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Canada. You can apply for an Electronic Travel Authorisation using an ETD.

Travelling with children

If you’re travelling with children and only one parent is present, you should carry a letter of consent from the non-travelling parent. Immigration officers have the right to question children using simple and appropriate language to establish whether there are any concerns about child abduction. A letter of consent may help to dispel potential concerns.

For further information check with the Canadian High Commission or the Canada Border Services Agency.

Travelling to the USA

The US is limiting non-essential travel at land ports of entry. “Non-essential” travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature. For more information, visit the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Canada Travel Restrictions Fact Sheet.

The Government of Canada will allow fully vaccinated international travellers who meet the conditions to enter Canada for discretionary (non-essential) purposes.

Don’t attempt to bring meat, animal or dairy products into Canada at any time without declaring them to the customs authorities. Banned food products will be confiscated and you could be fined. For more information see the website of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency

You must declare any visit to a farm within 14 days of arrival.

As of 17 October 2018, recreational cannabis is legally available throughout Canada. Local laws can vary depending on the province or territory you are visiting. Cannabis remains a Class B prohibited substance in the UK and it is illegal to carry any form of cannabis into the UK without a valid licence issued by the Home Office. This includes cannabis and cannabinoid oils prescribed for medicinal purposes in Canada. It is also illegal to take cannabis across the Canadian border without a permit or exemption authorised by Health Canada. Further information can be found on the Canadian Border Services Agency website.

For more information on customs regulations in Canada visit the website of the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Canada on the TravelHealthPro website

See the healthcare information in the Coronavirus section for information on what to do if you think you have coronavirus while in Canada.

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).

Medical treatment

The cost of medical treatment can be very expensive and there are no special arrangements for British visitors. For emergency health care you can go to a hospital’s emergency room or to a large number of walk-in clinics where an appointment is not required beforehand.

Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

If you have dual British-Canadian citizenship you may still have to pay for medical treatment if you don’t meet provincial residency requirements for health care. Check with the relevant province or territory for more information.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 911 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.


From July to November coastal areas are sometimes affected by hurricanes. For the latest weather conditions and hurricane activity check the National Hurricane Centre, Environment Canada and The Weather Network websites. See Tropical cyclones.

Winter conditions

During the winter, highways are often closed in Alberta, British Columbia and other Provinces because of snow storms and avalanches. You can check local weather conditions on The Weather Network website.

Even when roads remain open during a winter storm, driving conditions may still be treacherous. Take care, follow any local restrictions or guidelines, and make sure your vehicle has snow tyres and emergency supplies.


Avalanches can occur in mountainous regions, especially in Alberta and British Columbia. Always comply with avalanche advisories and stay away from closed trails. Follow the directions of local nature guides or instructors. For more information and updated avalanche bulletins visit the Canadian Avalanche Foundation.

Earthquakes and tsunamis

British Columbia and Yukon are located in an active earthquake zone with the coast of British Columbia being most at risk from a major earthquake. Parts of the British Columbia coastline are also at risk from tsunamis. For up to date information please visit Earthquakes Canada and West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center websites.

You should familiarise yourself with safety procedures in the event of either of an earthquake or tsunami. Further information on emergency preparedness can be found on the Government of Canada’s ‘Get Prepared’ website.


Summer thunderstorms are fairly frequent in most parts of Canada. A small number of these intensify causing property damage, and threatening lives.


Tornadoes can occur almost anywhere in Canada. May to September are the main tornado months with the peak season in June and early July in southern Ontario, Alberta, south eastern Quebec, and a band stretching from southern Saskatchewan and Manitoba through to Thunder Bay. The interior of British Columbia and western New Brunswick may also experience tornadoes. Monitor local and international weather updates on television and radio and follow any instructions from Canadian officials or law enforcement personnel. You can also find updates on the National Hurricane Centre website.

Forest fires

Forest fires can break out at anytime, regardless of the season. In the grasslands and forests of western Canada the fire hazard is higher. Generally Canada has cold dry winters and warm dry summers. Follow any local warnings and monitor news bulletins for latest details on outbreaks.

For more information visit the Environment Canada website.

Large numbers of British nationals travel successfully and safely in and around the Arctic each year. The Arctic is, however, a vast region, comprising the northerly areas of Canada, Finland, Greenland (Denmark), Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden and Alaska (United States). In addition to reading the specific travel advice for each of these countries, prospective visitors to the Arctic should also consider carefully the potential remoteness of certain destinations from search and rescue, evacuation and medical facilities. Independent travellers are particularly advised to develop contingency arrangements for emergency back-up.

The most popular way of visiting the Arctic is by ship. As some areas of the Arctic -specifically the more northerly and remote regions - can be uncharted and ice-covered, you should check the previous operational experience of cruise and other operators offering travel in the region. You should also consider the on-board medical facilities of cruise ships and talk to cruise operators as appropriate, particularly if you have a pre-existing medical condition.

The eight Arctic States take their international search and rescue obligations very seriously, and have recently signed a binding agreement on search and rescue co-operation in the Arctic. However, in the highest latitude regions of the Arctic, cruise ships may be operating in relative isolation from other vessels and/or inhabited areas. You should be aware that in these regions, search and rescue response will often need to be despatched from many hundreds of miles away, and assistance to stranded vessels may take several days to arrive, particularly in bad weather. Search and rescue assets are also likely to offer only basic transport and basic medical care, and are unlikely to be capable of advanced life-support. Responsible cruise operators should happily provide additional information relevant to the circumstances of the cruise they are offering, and address any concerns you may have.

Consular assistance and support to British nationals in the Arctic will be affected by the capacity of national and local authorities. You should make sure you have adequate travel insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment or potential repatriation.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) in London on 020 7008 5000 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCDO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCDO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCDO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCDO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. Versions prior to 2 September 2020 will be archived as FCO travel advice. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send the Travel Advice Team a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.

Book a Hotel