Money and duty free for Malta
Currency and Money
Euro (EUR; symbol €) = 100 cents. Notes are in denominations of €500, 200, 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5. Coins are in denominations of €2 and 1, and 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 cents.
American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard and Visa are accepted. ATMs are available.
ATMs are available.
Exchanged in the normal authorised institutions.
Mon-Fri 0830-1730, Sat 0800-1300.
There are no restrictions on the import or export of local or foreign currency. However, amounts exceeding €10,000 or equivalent must be declared if travelling from or to a country outside the European Union.
Money can be changed at banks, bureaux de change, some hotels, and larger shops and restaurants. Automated foreign exchange machines are available at various locations on the islands. Exchange bureaux are often open 24 hours a day. Some hotels, larger shops and restaurants accept foreign currency. The best rates of exchange will always be found at the banks.
Malta duty free
Malta is within the European Union. If you are travelling from outside of the EU, you are entitled to buy fragrance, skincare, cosmetics, Champagne, wine, selected spirits, fashion accessories, gifts and souvenirs - all at tax-free equivalent prices.
Malta's duty-free allowance for travellers from EU countries:
Goods obtained duty and tax paid in the EU are unlimited, as long as they are for your own use. However, if you bring in more than the following, customs officials are more likely to ask the reason for holding the goods:
• 800 cigarettes or 400 cigarillos or 200 cigars or 1kg of tobacco.
• 90L of still wine (no more than 60L of sparkling wine).
• 110L of beer.
• 10L of alcoholic beverages stronger than 22% or 20L of fortified or sparkling wine or other liqueurs up to 22%.
Malta's duty-free allowance for travellers from non-EU countries:
If you are arriving from a non-EU country, the following goods may be imported into Germany by travellers with a minimum age of 17 years without incurring customs duty:
• 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos (max. 3 grams each) or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco.
• 4L of wine and 16L of beer and 1L of spirits over 22% volume or 2L of alcoholic beverages less than 22% volume.
• Other goods up to the value of €430 for air and sea travellers and €300 for other travellers (reduced to €175 for children under 15).
Firearms and ammunition, counterfeit goods, unlicensed drugs, obscene literature and other media, animals and birds (dead or alive), plants, and dairy and meat products from outside the EU.
Browse our Video Guides