World Travel Guide > Guides > Asia > China

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

China Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa Required
Other EU Yes Yes Yes
USA Yes Yes Yes
Canadian Yes Yes Yes
Australian Yes Yes Yes
British Yes Yes Yes


To enter China, a passport with at least six months' validity is required by all nationals referred to in the chart above.

To enter Hong Kong, a passport valid for the duration of stay is required by nationals in the chart above.

Passport Note

Foreign nationals must carry their passports at all times as police carry out random spot checks; these are more frequent around times of heightened security such as sporting events.

Those wishing to visit Tibet are strongly advised to join a travel group. Individual travellers need a Tibet Travel Permit issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau. Applicants also need to show their Chinese visa.


Visas are required by all nationals referred to in the chart above to enter China, except:

• All nationals above when visiting Hong Kong or Macau only, in which case visas are not required for varying lengths of stay.

• All nationals above when visiting the Pearl River Delta for up to six days (21 days for German nationals) as part of an organised tour group from Hong Kong or Macau.

• Nationals of Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, the UK and the USA visiting Hainan Province only as part of an approved, organised tourist group for stays of up to 15 days (21 days for German nationals).

Visa Note

When making the visa application you will need to submit a detailed itinerary of all places you plan to visit and all hotel bookings (including addresses and phone numbers and dates of arrival and departure).

Business travellers are required to provide an official invitation from the company or institution in China when applying for a visa.

Visitors must register with the Chinese Public Security Bureau within 24 hours of arrival.

Nationals not referred to in the chart above are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements.

Types and Cost

Single-entry: £85 (UK nationals), £55 (Canadian nationals), £90 (US nationals), £20 (other nationals).

Double-entry: £85 (UK nationals), £55 (Canadian nationals), £90 (US nationals), £30 (other nationals).

Multiple-entry within six months: £85 (UK nationals), £55 (Canadian nationals), £90 (US nationals), £40 (other nationals).

Multiple-entry within 12 months or more: £85 (UK nationals), £55 (Canadian nationals), £90 (US nationals), £60 (other nationals).

You must also pay a service fee of £66 (standard), £78 (express) or £90 (postal applications).


Single-entry visas are normally valid for three months, double-entry for six months, and multiple-entry either six, 12 or 24 months.


A transit visa is not required if staying in the confines of the airport for more than 24 hours. If leaving the airport, a transit visa is required for some nationalities.

However, nationals of some countries, including all those listed in the chart above, are exempt for up to 72 hours and are free to visit some cities like Beijing, Guangzhou and Chongqing. In this case, it is possible to apply for a transit without visa at the international airports of the cities participating in this visa waiver programme. A full list of the participating airports and cities is available at the responsible Chinese embassy.

Nationals of the countries listed in the chart above are allowed a stay of up to 144 hours without a visa when arriving at the following airports, ports and railway stations:

Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport,

Nanjing Lukou International Airport,

Shanghai Pudong International Airport,
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport,
Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal,
Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal and

Shanghai Railway Station (when using the Shanghai-Kowloon Through Train).

Application to

Consulate (or consular section at embassy). Many consulates (including those in the UK) issue visas through the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre ( rather than directly through the consulate.

Working days

Visa applications for China should be made one month in advance.

The express service requires three days, and the regular service takes four days.

Postal applications are usually processed and returned within 10 working days, if all the documentation is in good order.

Our visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing,
We strongly recommend that you verify critical information unique to your trip with the relevant embassy before travel.

Embassies and tourist offices

British Embassy in China

Telephone: 0(10) 5192 4000 ; 0(10) 8529 6600 (consular section).
Address: Jian Guo Men Wai, 11 Guang Hua Lu, Beijing, ,
Opening times:

Mon-Fri 0830-1200 and 1330-1700.

Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the USA

Telephone: (202) 495 2266 ; (202) 338 6688 (visa section).
Address: NW, 3505 International Place, Washington, DC, 20008,
Opening times:

Mon-Fri 0900-1730; Mon-Fri 0930-1230 and 1330-1500 (visa section).

Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the UK

Telephone: 020) 7299 4049 ; (020) 7631 1430 (consular section).
Address: , 49-51 Portland Place, London, W1B 1JL,
Opening times:

Mon-Fri 0900-1200 and 1400-1700.

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.

Related Articles

Top 5: China’s bizarre copycat cities

China’s “knock off” cities, built to resemble famous European and American cities like Venice and New York, have become tourist attractions in their own right. Here, we look at five of the most unusual.