World Travel Guide > Guides > Europe > Poland

Money and duty free for Poland

Currency and Money

Currency information

Złoty (PLN; symbol zł) = 100 groszy. Notes are in denominations of zł200, 100, 50, 20 and 10. The coins are in denominations of zł5, 2 and 1, and 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 groszy. Poland is required under the terms of its accession to the European Union in 2004 to adopt the Euro as its national currency sometime in the future but this is not expected to happen for at least three years.

Credit cards

American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard and Visa are accepted in larger establishments. You can obtain cash from Visa credit and debit cards at banks and from ATMs. MasterCard is also accepted by some ATMs.


You can obtain cash from Visa credit and debit cards at most ATMs. Most also accept MasterCard, Cirrus and Maestro cards.

Travellers cheques

These can be exchanged but they’re usually more expensive and troublesome than ATM withdrawals. Also, exchanging traveller’s cheques in Poland has been reported to be problematic; most bureaux de change (kantors) won’t change them and the banks that do usually charge a commission on top of the one you’ve already paid when buying the traveller’s cheques.

Banking hours

Mon-Fri 0900-1600, Sat 0900-1300 in main cities. In smaller towns, banking hours are more limited.

Currency restrictions

The import and export of local and foreign currency is unrestricted. Amounts over €10,000 or equivalent must be declared if travelling from or to countries outside the European Union.

Currency exchange

You can exchange foreign currency at all border crossing points, hotels and bureaux de change (kantors), some of which are open 24 hours. These are always good bets as they are fast, efficient and generally charge no commission (though it’s always safe to double-check their rate of exchange). Hotel rates and goods in large stores may also be listed in Euros, but payment is usually expected in złoty.

Poland duty free


Poland is within the European Union. If you are travelling from outside of the EU, you are entitled to buy fragrance, skincare, cosmetics, Champagne, wine, selected spirits, fashion accessories, gifts and souvenirs - all at tax-free equivalent prices.

Poland's duty-free allowance for travellers from EU countries:

If you are over 17 years old, you are free to buy and take goods with you when travelling between EU countries, provided that you have paid tax on these goods and they are for your own use (not for sale). However, if you bring in more than the following, customs officials are likely to question you:

• 800 cigarettes or 400 cigarillos or 200 cigars or 1kg of tobacco.
• 90L of still wine (60L of sparkling wine).
• 110L of beer.
• 10L of alcoholic beverages stronger than 22% or 20L of fortified or sparkling wine or other liqueurs up to 22%.

Beware that each EU country has different rules for travellers under 17 years old. Please check before you travel.

Poland's duty-free allowance for travellers from non-EU countries:

If you are arriving from a non-EU country, the following goods may be imported into Poland by travellers with a minimum age of 17 years without incurring customs duty:

• Air travellers: 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos (max. 3 grams each) or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco. Land and sea travellers: 40 cigarettes or 20 cigarillos (max. 3 grams each) or 10 cigars or 50g of tobacco. You may combine any of these tobacco products provided you do not exceed the total limit.
• 4L of wine and 16L of beer and 1L of spirits over 22% volume or 2L of alcoholic beverages less than 22% volume or a proportional mix of these products provided the limit is not exceeded.
• Other goods up to the value of €430 for air and sea travellers and €300 for other travellers (reduced to €150 for children under 15).

Banned Imports

Unlicensed firearms and ammunition, narcotics, meat, fish dairy products from outside the EU. Endangered species require a permit.

You may only import small quantities of plants, fruit and vegetables for personal use, otherwise they require a phytosanitary certificate.

Banned Exports

Certain arts and antiquities require an export licence, eg archaeological artefacts more than 100 years old or paintings more than 50 years old. Endangered species also require a permit.

Book a Hotel