World Travel Guide > Guides > Asia > Nepal

Nepal travel guide

About Nepal

Officially the highest country on Earth, lofty Nepal is commonly referred to as the “roof of the world.” That seems like a fitting moniker for this Himalayan nation, where soaring, snow-capped mountains disappear into the clouds like stairways to heaven.

Mount Everest is the star attraction. Tourists come in their droves to climb, hike and admire the world’s tallest peak, which flirts with the stratosphere at 8,848m (29,029ft). But this charming country is much more than just mountains.

The birthplace of Gautama Buddha, Nepal is an important pilgrimage site for millions of Buddhists, who come from far and wide to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Lumbini, a temple complex where Buddha once lived.

Holy places abound in Nepal, but not just of the Buddhist variety; Hinduism has a strong foothold in the country and there are many Hindu temples scattered across the country (though some have been severely damaged by the 2015 earthquakes).

Also hit hard was the Nepali capital, Kathmandu, which is encircled by soaring mountain ranges. A beautiful, bustling city it stands at a cultural crossroads between India and China, whose influences can be seen in the architecture and tasted in the cuisine. Meanwhile, a Western vibe prevails in the lively Thamel district, which is lined with bars.

Kathmandu is a good starting point for travellers venturing into the jungle at Chitwan National Park, which is home to Bengali tigers, crocodiles and one-horned rhinos, plus myriad bird species. Phewa Lake is another draw for tourists, as are the hiking trails in the Himalayas.

Wherever you go though, wide smiles will be there to greet you; Nepalese people are amongst the friendliest in the world and it’s not uncommon to be invited into a stranger’s home for tea.

Sitting atop the world, Nepal is just one step away from heaven – and for those who have discovered the country’s many charms, it feels like it too. 

Key facts


147,181 sq km (56,827 sq miles).


28,850,717 (UN estimate 2016).

Population density:

214.4 per sq km.





Head of state:

President Bidhya Devi Bhandari since 2015.

Head of government:

Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal since 2022.

Travel Advice

Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Nepal on the TravelHealthPro website

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

International travel

Flights by some major carriers to and from Nepal connect to major hubs, but may be oversubscribed at peak times. You should liaise with your airline or travel provider for additional information, or if you need to re-book.

The Government of Nepal still requires specific conditions of entry for passengers originating from or transiting the UK. Those seeking to enter Nepal need to present certain documentation, see Entry requirements for more information.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Nepal.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID-19. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Nepal

The Nepali authorities continue to impose some temporary restrictions to control the COVID-19 outbreak. Some restrictions to non-essential services may be introduced or extended at short notice. You may be asked to wear a face mask to access essential services (including access to medical care, some shops, and at airports. Adults are no longer required to carry and show proof of vaccination but you may be asked for proof at the airport. There are penalties for people who do not observe these rules.


Most hotels in the Kathmandu valley are open and COVID-19 restrictions have largely been lifted, this can however change at short notice. Local administrations in other districts are free to adapt a different model.

  • public spaces and services are generally unrestricted in the Kathmandu valley and elsewhere, but measures can be introduced at short notice. Shops and services do not generally require the wearing of face masks but you may be asked to do so.

There have been reports of some incidents in parts of Nepal of foreign tourists being threatened or intimidated by locals, allegedly in relation to coronavirus. Such incidents are rare. If you experience such problems, return immediately to your accommodation (if safe), or to the local law enforcement agencies (phone 100), or contact the British Embassy at +977 (0)1 423 7100.

Healthcare in Nepal

If you need medical attention and/or if you think you have any symptoms of COVID-19 such as a fever or persistent cough please avoid contact with others if possible and go to a medical facility. For those who have health insurance cover, or are willing to pay then Mediciti and Norvic Hospitals can isolate and take a test to be sent to the national laboratory.

Make sure you have sufficient medicine, if required. The British Embassy has a list of pharmacies and hospitals that dispense in Kathmandu available here. If you need further assistance then please contact the British Embassy at +977 (0)1 423 7100.

For contact details for English speaking doctors visit our list of healthcare providers.

Isolation facilities for COVID-19 are limited to certain government hospitals, where services are basic. View Health for further details on healthcare in Nepal.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health.


For information on financial support you can access whilst abroad, visit our financial assistance guidance.

Further information

If you need urgent consular assistance, contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephone numbers are available 24/7.

Additional useful information may be found on the British Embassy social media channels.

Trekking in Nepal

The Government of Nepal has announced that it will give foreign nationals permission to travel to Nepal for the purpose of mountaineering and trekking. You should liaise with your agency to establish documentation you will require, as this may change at short notice.

See Entry requirements for more information before you travel.

Never trek alone. Use a reputable agency, remain on established routes, and walk with at least one other person.

Always observe national park regulations and follow your guide’s instructions.

Altitude sickness is a risk, including on the Annapurna, Langtang and Everest Base Camp treks. Read the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s advice on altitude sickness.

Accidents happen due to insufficient information, inappropriate equipment or overestimation of your own capabilities. Follow the advice given by local authorities and guides. Ignoring such advice could put yourselves and other mountain users in danger.

The following hazards exist throughout the year, especially above 3,000m:

  • sudden weather changes
  • avalanches and snow drifts
  • landslides and flooding
  • glacial crevasses and hollows
  • rockfall
  • thunder storms and lightning
  • altitude sickness
  • sun exposure

You should:

  • take note of weather forecasts and conditions
  • make sure you’re physically fit and have the necessary experience
  • be in a team of at least 2
  • inform someone of your plans
  • take warm clothes and wet weather gear
  • use sun block (SPF20 or higher) and sun glasses

Make sure your insurance covers you for your intended activity, including travel above 3,000m, mountain rescue services and helicopter costs.

The Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN) provides live updates on trekking conditions in Nepal. Online weather forecasts are available on the website of the government of Nepal Department Of Hydrology and Meteorology.

Treks can take longer than expected. Flights across Nepal, particularly in high mountain areas, can be delayed due to poor weather conditions. Keep your tour operator, guide and family informed of your situation and travel plans. In remote areas, including long stretches of the Annapurna Circuit trek, mobile phone coverage and internet services are extremely limited. Consider renting a satellite phone.

A valid permit and Trekkers’ Information Management System (TIMS) card are needed to enter Nepal’s main trekking regions. See the Naturally Nepal website

Volunteering and adventure travel

If you’re planning to volunteer or undertake adventure travel in Nepal you should research any organisation or company you’re planning to use thoroughly before committing yourself. Read these information and advice pages on gap year travel and safer adventure travel and volunteering overseas.

The Social Welfare Council of the government of Nepal maintains a list of registered volunteer organisations; you can ask for a copy by sending an email to:

The British Embassy has received reports of volunteer opportunities at orphanages which are profit orientated organisations rather than charities. If you’re volunteering at this type of organisation, you could be contributing to child exploitation. Contact the Nepali Central Child Welfare Board for confirmation before signing up to volunteer for one of these organisations.


There’s a low rate of serious crime in Nepal. However, you should take sensible precautions.

Watch out for pick-pockets and bag-snatching, particularly in airports, on buses and in areas popular with foreign nationals like Thamel, Sanepa and Kupondol in Kathmandu.

Take care when walking around at night. Assaults and robberies are more likely to occur in the evening in poorly lit areas. Avoid walking on your own and don’t carry large sums of cash. Keep valuables in a hotel safe if possible.

Sexual assaults against foreign nationals, particularly women, have been reported in tourist areas, including Thamel and Sanepa in Kathmandu. Be wary of accepting drinks from strangers, don’t leave drinks unattended and exercise caution, especially when alone after dark. See our advice page for women travelling abroad.

There were reports of some incidents in parts of Nepal of some foreign tourists being threatened or intimidated by locals, allegedly in relation to coronavirus. Such incidents are rare. If you experience such problems, you should return immediately to your accommodation (if safe), or to the local law enforcement agencies (phone 100), or contact the Embassy at +977 (0)1 423 7100.

Victims of crime should call the Tourist Police in Kathmandu on 01 4700750 or the Tourist Police headquarters on 01 4247041.

Road travel

Road conditions are poor, especially during the monsoon season or in mountain areas. The 2015 earthquakes affected many roads and reconstruction work is still ongoing, making conditions worse.

If you’re travelling during monsoon season, see Natural disasters

Bus accidents are common in Nepal and there are a number of accidents resulting in fatalities every year. Buses are often overcrowded, poorly regulated, and poorly maintained. Avoid travel on overnight buses. Don’t travel on overloaded or overcrowded buses. Tourist buses usually offer a higher standard of comfort and safety.

General driving standards are poor. Many drivers are not properly licensed, trained or insured and vehicles, including taxis, are often poorly maintained. There are few pavements outside central Kathmandu and motorists don’t yield right of way to pedestrians.

Other road users often ignore motorbikes and bicycles. It’s the law to wear a helmet when driving a motorbike. You should also wear a suitable helmet when riding as a passenger, and when riding a bicycle.

If you’re planning to drive in Nepal, an International Driving Permit (IDP) is recommended. UK driving licence holders are not eligible to drive in Nepal without a Nepali driving licence or an IDP. There is no time limit for the use of IDPs in Nepal. You can get IDPs over the counter from many UK Post Offices. You will not be able to buy an IDP outside the UK, so get one before you travel. Carry your IDP with you at all times as well as any vehicle registration documents.

Air travel

Some major carriers fly to and from Nepal, connecting to major hubs. These flights may be oversubscribed, especially at peak times. You should liaise with your airline or travel provider for more information.

The Government of Nepal requires specific conditions of entry for all passengers originating from or transiting the UK. You can find more information in the Entry requirements section

Travellers should be aware that all Nepal-certified air carriers are included on the UK Air Safety List (ASL).

The UK Air Safety List identifies foreign airlines which do not fulfil the necessary international safety standards, and are banned from operating commercial air services to, from, and within the United Kingdom. Its purpose is to help UK travellers to make informed decisions on which air carriers to use when flying overseas, including on domestic flights. We advise UK nationals travelling overseas to take account of the UK Air Safety List when considering which carriers to fly with. The list is maintained by the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

Nepalese air carriers on the list include, but are not limited to:

  • Air Dynasty Heli. S.
  • Altitude Air
  • Buddha Air
  • Fishtail Air
  • Summit Air
  • Heli Everest
  • Himalaya Airlines
  • Kailash Helicopter Services
  • Makalu Air
  • Manang Air Pvt
  • Mountain Helicopters
  • Mustang Helicopters
  • Prabhu Helicopters
  • Nepal Airlines Corporation
  • Saurya Airlines
  • Shree Airlines
  • Simrik Air
  • Guna Airlines
  • Sita Air
  • Tara Air
  • Yeti Airlines

There have been a number of fatal air accidents (which have included aeroplane and helicopter crashes) in Nepal over the last five years including:

  • on 15 January 2023 a Yeti Airlines flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara crashed on approach to Pokhara International Airport killing all 72 on board
  • on 29 May 2022, a Tara Air flight from Pokhara to Jomsom with 22 people on board crashed shortly after take off, in bad weather. All sixteen passengers and six crew were killed
  • on 27 February 2019, an Air Dynasty helicopter crashed in Taplejung district killing all 7 on board
  • on 12 March 2018, a US Bangla Airlines flight from Bangladesh with 71 passengers on board crashed on landing at Kathmandu International Airport. Fifty one passengers were killed.

A number of tour operators have decided to stop using certain airlines due to safety concerns. Specific safety concerns about Sita Air have led a number of tour operators to stop using them.

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Nepal. Attacks can be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. Be vigilant in public places and take local advice.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Penalties for drugs related offences are severe. Possession of small amounts of marijuana can lead to a prison sentence of over 5 years, usually after a lengthy and expensive legal process. An increasing number of people are being caught smuggling drugs in to and out of the country.

Some skincare products and E-cigarette refills may contain ingredients that are illegal in Nepal such as Cannabidiol (CBD). If found in possession of products containing CBD, they may be confiscated and you may face criminal charges. More information on narcotic, psychotropic and controlled drugs where this rule applies and allowed quantities can be found on the Nepal Government’s Department of Drug Administration website.

Bringing precious metals into Nepal is strictly regulated. Foreign nationals are permitted to carry gold ornaments up to 50 grams and silver ornaments up to 100 grams. Undeclared gold or silver will be subject to a fine equivalent to the value of the goods and imprisonment from one month to five years depending upon the value of the goods, in addition to the confiscation of the goods. They may be also taken into judicial custody (detained) during the proceedings. For more information, contact Nepal Immigration.

It’s illegal to buy, sell, kill or capture any wild animal or trade its parts without a license. Nepal is a signatory to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) which bans trade of wildlife products without a permit. Those caught purchasing or trafficking such goods as well as accomplices who knowingly assist anyone in committing any offences against the law will be prosecuted and receive prison sentences or fines or both.

The currency of Nepal is the Nepalese Rupee (NPR). If you are visiting Nepal, you can bring cash or travellers’ cheques (in pounds sterling or another foreign currency) and/or a bank card with you and exchange or withdraw US dollars or Nepalese rupees from ATM machines in Nepal.

Scottish and Northern Ireland bank notes are not accepted in Nepal.

There are ATM cash machines in most large towns, cities and hotels in Nepal.

You will have to declare any amount exceeding US$5,000 in bank notes, or US$10,000 in notes and travellers’ cheques combined on your Customs Declaration when you arrive in the country. When you leave the country, you need to present the receipt for the exchange you made during the entry into Nepal. The airport desk will then help convert your Nepali currency back to the foreign currency.

Women should avoid wearing shorts and sleeveless tops where this might be seen as inappropriate, eg temples and other holy places. Remove shoes before entering certain holy places. Non-Hindus are not permitted in some temples.

Nepal is generally open and tolerant to LGBT issues, and same-sex relations are not criminalised. A Supreme Court ruling in 2007 ordered the government to end discrimination against sexual minorities and to ensure equal rights. However, all public displays of affection, irrespective of sexuality or gender identity, tend to be viewed as inappropriate in Nepali society and may therefore attract negative attention. See our information and advice page for the LGBT community before you travel.

You should carry your passport with you at all times. Leave a photocopy in a safe place or with friends and family in the UK.

This page has information on travelling to Nepal.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport from the UK, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Nepal set and enforce entry rules. If you’re unsure how Nepal’s entry requirements apply to you, contact its UK embassy, high commission or consulate.

All travellers

The Government of Nepal has recently removed the requirement for travellers to complete an Online International Travel Arrival Form. When flying to Nepal from or through the UK, you will however need to present certain documentation on arrival:

  • A passport with at least six months’ validity
  • A Covid-19 vaccination certificate or PCR negative test result taken no more than 72 hours before the flight of first departure. These requirements do not apply to children under the age of five. Technically we understand the rule for children applies up to and including 60 months of age. Given potential ambiguity to this rule and risk of airlines’ interpretation, you are advised to consider the requirement applies for children once they reach the age of five.
  • If you are vaccinated you can apply for a visa on arrival at Online Services or complete documentation at the arrivals hall of Kathmandu Airport

You may also be asked to show proof of:

  • A travel insurance document which covers health, immediate crisis, or rescue for the duration of your travel in Nepal
  • Your initial hotel booking


You should be able to get a visa on arrival if you can prove your vaccination status.

People who have completed COVID-19 vaccination at least 14 days prior to entry to Nepal can get visas on arrival (you should bring proof of vaccination). Non-vaccinated people can also obtain visas on arrival, but – if unvaccinated, and aged five years old or over – must be able to show a negative PCR test completed no more than 72 hours before the flight of first departure. Requirements are updated by Nepal’s Department of Immigration, sometimes at short notice.

Overstaying your visa in Nepal is a serious crime, and can lead to significant fines or potentially imprisonment. For the latest information on visa fees/fines please check the Nepal Immigration website.

Passport validity

Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months when you submit your application for a visa. You should also ensure your passport is up to date, is valid for the entire length of your stay and that you have completed the emergency contact details page.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, transit and exit from Nepal with a valid visa. If you’re issued with an ETD in Nepal to use to exit Nepal, you will need to get an exit visa stamp from the Department of Immigration Office in Kathmandu.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website.


If you’re planning to take medication into Nepal, you should bring the prescription with you. For further details contact the Embassy of Nepal.

If you are symptomatic on arrival, you may be subject to testing; If you test positive, you will be required to quarantine in Government-provided facilities at your own expense.

The authorities now require your carrier to inform you of PCR requirements for flights to depart Nepal, too. You should check with your carrier before flying, and make appropriate arrangements.

Proof of vaccination status

Nepal will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record and proof of COVID-19 vaccination issued in the Crown Dependencies. Your final vaccine dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to travel. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

If you’re not fully vaccinated

The Government of Nepal defines people who are fully vaccinated as those who have received full doses of an approved vaccine more than 14 days previously. If you’re not fully vaccinated, you must obtain a negative PCR test not more than 72 hours before your flight of first departure to enter Nepal, and should then be able to obtain a visa on arrival.

You are additionally required to submit the following documents when at the immigration entry point in Nepal:

  • a passport with more than six months’ validity;
  • a travel insurance document which covers health, immediate crisis, or rescue for the duration of your travel
  • You should also be ready to show evidence of your initial hotel booking.

Unvaccinated people, or those unable to show that they have been fully vaccinated for at least fourteen days, may also subject be free antigen tests on arrival. This applies to all passengers aged five years old and over.

Requirements can change at short notice, so check with your carrier and/or look for official notices to make sure you are complying with entry requirements – see the Department of Immigration’s main site

Children and young people

Children under 5 years old do not require to be vaccinated or tested when arriving in Nepal. Unvaccinated older children are subject the same health protocols as adults.

If you’re transiting through Nepal

If you are transiting through Nepal on your way to another country and staying in the airport (airside) you will need:

  • if unvaccinated, a certificate showing a negative Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test, taken within 72 hours of flight of first departure
  • a visa or prior approval document for onward travel
  • a travel insurance document which covers health, immediate crisis, or rescue for the duration of your travel


The Department of Immigration has provided fuller information on their notice on their main site.

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel

If you are visiting Nepal, your passport should be valid for 6 months from the date you submit your application for a visa. You should also ensure your passport is up to date, is valid for the entire length of your stay and that you have completed the emergency contact details page.

If you have a health condition, or you are pregnant, you may need specialist healthcare abroad. Check whether your destination country can provide the healthcare you may need and ensure you have appropriate travel insurance for unexpected medical evacuation or local treatment.

See the Coronavirus travel health and Healthcare sections in the Coronavirus page for COVID-19 health information.

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or bought in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).

Other health risks

There are seasonal outbreaks of dengue fever, especially in the southeast of Nepal. A number of cases were also recorded recently in Kathmandu during 2022. If you’re travelling in any area where dengue is prevalent, take extra precautions to avoid mosquito bites. For up to date information visit the TravelHealthPro website.

There have been confirmed cases of scrub typhus in Nepal.

There have been confirmed cases of cholera in Kathmandu, Nepalganj city in western Nepal and in Doti, Bajhang and Gorkha districts.

There have been some cases of avian influenza (bird flu) among birds and poultry in parts of the country. The risk to humans is believed to be very low, but as a precaution you should avoid visiting live animal markets, poultry farms and other places where you may come into close contact with birds, and make sure poultry and egg dishes are thoroughly cooked.

Local medical care

Medical treatment is expensive at western travellers’ clinics in Nepal. Healthcare is poor in most places outside the Kathmandu Valley and Pokhara. It may be difficult to get rapid helicopter evacuation if you fall ill or suffer a serious accident in a remote area of the country. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad, repatriation and evacuation by helicopter (currently costing between £1,000 and £2,000 per flying hour).

There is no central public ambulance service, though some private providers operate in the main cities. In an emergency, you should call the local hospital.

You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.


Major earthquakes on 25 April 2015 (epicentre Gorkha district) and 12 May 2015 (epicentre Sindhupalchok district) caused extensive damage to buildings and infrastructure particularly in northern parts of Gorkha, Rasuwa, Sindhupalchok and Dolakha districts. These include the Manaslu and Langtang national parks.

Reconstruction work is underway following the earthquakes and most of the country is fully open for tourism, including most trekking routes, though some trails are still affected in Langtang, Manaslu and Helambu. Check with your tour company before trekking in these areas.

Earth tremors are common across Nepal. Lack of adequate emergency preparedness, medical facilities and emergency equipment will increase the impact that an earthquake could have.

The British Embassy would only be able to offer limited Consular assistance in the days immediately following a severe earthquake in Kathmandu Valley due to the likely impact on local infrastructure and inaccessibility of many places. The British Embassy would be unable to provide food, water, shelter or medical assistance in a crisis.

Check with your tour operator to find out what contingency plans the operator may have in place in the event of an earthquake. The British Embassy would seek to help British nationals to leave as soon as possible following a major natural disaster. However, Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) may be unusable following a large-scale earthquake, as will Nepal’s road network. It could take some days for it to become operational.

The National Society of Earthquake Technology - Nepal (NSET) provides advice on what to do in the event of an earthquake.

Monsoon season

Travel during the monsoon season (June-September) can be hazardous. Flooding and landslides often occur and can cut off towns and villages for days at a time. British Embassy staff avoid travel across the country during this period where possible. If you travel by road during monsoon season, take care, plan your journey carefully (including checking access routes before setting off) and be prepared to change or cancel your plans at short notice. Make sure any vehicle you travel in is equipped to deal with the risk of landslides (eg winches, ropes) and you have sufficient supplies for any delay to your journey.

The government of Nepal Meteorological Forecasting Division provides weather updates (in English) and flood forecasts during the monsoon. The Department of Hydrology and Metrology also provides daily updates.

The currency of Nepal is the Nepalese Rupee (NPR). If you are visiting Nepal, you can bring cash and/or a bank card with you and exchange or withdraw US dollars or Nepalese rupees from ATM machines in Nepal.

Scottish and Northern Ireland bank notes are not accepted in Nepal.

There are ATM cash machines in most large towns, cities and hotels in Nepal.

You will have to declare any amount exceeding US$5,000 in bank notes, or US$10,000 in notes and travellers’ cheques combined on your Customs Declaration when you arrive in the country. When you leave the country, you need to present the receipt for the exchange you made during the entry into Nepal. The airport desk will then help convert your Nepali currency back to the foreign currency.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) in London on 020 7008 5000 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCDO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can not provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCDO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCDO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCDO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. Versions prior to 2 September 2020 will be archived as FCO travel advice. If you can not find the page you’re looking for there, send the Travel Advice Team a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry, or contact us on Twitter or Facebook. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.

A digital image at

Book a Hotel