Spain Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa required
Australian Yes No No
British Yes No No
Canadian Yes No No
Other EU 1 No No
USA Yes No No

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

Apply for one now! Preferred suppliers of Visas and Passports by World Travel Guide

A passport valid for three months beyond the length of stay and issued within the past 10 years is required by all nationals listed in the chart above except (1) EU nationals holding a passport or national ID card which is valid for the duration of stay.

If travelling from one border-free Schengen country to another however, EU nationals are not required to show a passport or national ID card. It is still recommended that you travel with your passport or ID card to prove your identity if necessary though. Note that Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK are not part of the Schengen area, so a passport or ID card is required if travelling to/from these countries.

EU nationals are not required to possess a return ticket or show sufficient funds.


Visas for Spain are not required by nationals of EU countries regardless of the purpose and/or length of stay; and not required by nationals of other countries referred to in the chart above for stays of up to 90 days.

Visa note

Nationals not referred to in the chart are advised to contact the embassy to check visa requirements for Spain.

Types and cost

Schengen visa: €60/£43.80.


Schengen visa: 90 days within a six-month period.


A transit visa will only allow entrance into the international transit area and not into Spain. You are not allowed to leave the airport.

Application to

Consulate (or consular section at embassy). UK residents should apply to the Spain Visa Application Centre (, which charges an additional processing fee of £14.60. All visa applicants aged 12 and over must submit biometric data at their visa appointment.

Schengen visas

Spain is part of the Schengen visa scheme. 

Temporary residence

If you're a non-EU citizen planning on staying longer than 90 days, you should apply for a visado de residencia (residence visa) from the Spanish Embassy in your home country before departure. This allows for the residency application process to begin.

EU citizens staying beyond 90 days must obtain a registration certificate at the Oficina de Extranjeros or local police station.

Working days

Allow at least five working days for visa processing. Some cases may take longer however.

Sufficient funds

Schengen visa applicants must be able to provide proof of funds to cover their stay.

Extension of stay

Schengen visa holders wishing to stay longer than 90 days in Spain should obtain an extension from the Spanish immigration authorities. This will only be granted under exceptional circumstances.

Entry with pets

Visitors are allowed to bring pets into Spain, provided that they carry the pet passport or international vaccination health certification with them. If you’re travelling from the UK to Spain with your pet, you need to check the regulations of the pet travel scheme ( If you’re travelling from elsewhere, be sure to have a valid veterinary certificate, valid rabies vaccines and a microchip. Before flying to Spain, you should check with your airline regarding their pet travel regulations. Some carriers do not transport pets in the luggage compartment.

Embassies and tourist offices

Spanish Embassy and Consulate in the USA
Telephone: (202) 452 0100 or (202) 728 2330 (consulate). Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0900-1700.
Spanish Consulate in the UK
Telephone: (020) 7589 8989. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0930-1400 (visa information by appointment only).
Spanish Embassy in the UK
Telephone: (020) 7235 5555. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0930-1400
British Embassy in Spain
Telephone: (917) 146 300. Website: Opening times: Mon-Fri 0830-1700 (embassy); Mon-Fri 0830 – 1330 (consulate).

Do you need a Visa?

Our preferred partner VisaCentral can make applying for one fast and easy.

With more than 50 years experience CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral have become the largest and most well-established travel visa and passport company in the world.

CIBT and its subsidiary VisaCentral has the tools, experience, and global network necessary to effectively reduce the time associated with obtaining travel documents and legalisations.

VisaCentral offer:

  • Unmatched Speed.
  • Full Line of Services.
  • Proprietary Database.
  • Travel Visa and Passport Specialists.
  • Secure Process.
  • Real-time Order Tracking.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.