World Travel Guide > Guides > Europe > Spain

Spain Visa and Passport Requirements

Passport required Return ticket required Visa Required
British Yes No No
Australian Yes No No
Canadian Yes No No
USA Yes No No
Other EU 1 No No


A passport valid for three months beyond the length of stay and issued within the past 10 years is required by all nationals listed in the chart above except (1) EU nationals holding a passport or national ID card which is valid for the duration of stay.

If travelling from one border-free Schengen country to another however, EU nationals are not required to show a passport or national ID card. It is still recommended that you travel with your passport or ID card to prove your identity if necessary though. Note that Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK are not part of the Schengen area, so a passport or ID card is required if travelling to/from these countries.

EU nationals are not required to possess a return ticket or show sufficient funds.


Nationals of EU countries do not require visas for Spain regardless of the purpose and/or length of stay. A Spain visa is also not required by nationals of other countries referred to in the chart above for stays up to 90 days.

Spain is part of the Schengen system which allows visitors to travel to all participating countries without a visa. Please click here for information regarding the Schengen visa.

Apart from citizens listed in the chart above, citizens from the following countries can also visit without a visa for Spain for up to 90 days within a six-month period: Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Dominica, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kiribati, Liechtenstein, Macao, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Taiwan, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela, and Vanuatu.

Citizens from Albania, Bosnia Herzegovina, Georgia, North Macedonia (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia), Moldova, Montenegro and Ukraine who hold a biometric passport can also visit Spain without a visa. Otherwise a visa is required.

Visa Note

Nationals not referred to in the chart are advised to contact the embassy to check requirements for Spain visas.

Types and Cost

Schengen visa: €60.


Schengen visa: 90 days within a six-month period.


A transit visa for Spain will only allow entrance into the international transit area and not into the country. You are not allowed to leave the airport.

Application to

Consulate (or consular section at embassy). UK residents should apply to the Spain Visa Application Centre (, which charges an additional processing fee. All visa applicants aged 12 and over must submit biometric data at their visa appointment.

Schengen Visas

Spain is part of the Schengen visa scheme. 

Temporary residence

If you're a non-EU citizen planning on staying longer than 90 days, you should apply for a visado de residencia (residence visa for Spain) from the Spanish Embassy in your home country before departure. This allows for the residency application process to begin.

EU citizens staying beyond 90 days must obtain a registration certificate at the Oficina de Extranjeros or local police station.

Working days

Allow at least five working days for Spanish visa processing. Some cases may take longer however.

Sufficient Funds

Schengen visa applicants must be able to provide proof of funds to cover their stay.

Extension of stay

Schengen visa holders wishing to stay longer than 90 days in Spain should obtain an extension from the Spanish immigration authorities. This will only be granted under exceptional circumstances.

Entry with pets

Visitors are allowed to bring pets into Spain, provided that they carry the pet passport or international vaccination health certification with them. If you’re travelling from the UK to Spain with your pet, you need to check the regulations of the pet travel scheme ( If you’re travelling from elsewhere, be sure to have a valid veterinary certificate, valid rabies vaccines and a microchip. Before flying to Spain, you should check with your airline regarding their pet travel regulations. Some carriers do not transport pets in the luggage compartment.

Our visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing,
We strongly recommend that you verify critical information unique to your trip with the relevant embassy before travel.

Embassies and tourist offices

Spanish Embassy and Consulate in the USA

Telephone: +1 202 452 0100.
Address: , 2375 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, 20037,
Opening times:

Mon-Fri 0900-1700.

Spanish Consulate in the UK

Telephone: +44 20 7589 8989.
Address: , 20 Draycott Pl, London, SW3 2RZ,
Opening times:

Mon-Fri 0930-1400 (visa information by appointment only).

Spanish Embassy in the UK

Telephone: +44 20 7235 5555.
Address: , 39 Chesham Pl, London, SW1X 8HW,
Opening times:

Mon-Fri 0930-1400

British Embassy in Spain

Telephone: +34 917 146 300.
Address: , Paseo de la Castellana, 259D, Madrid, 28046,
Opening times:

Mon-Fri 0830-1600 (phone line); Mon-Fri 0830-1330 (consulate).

Browse our Video Guides

Related Articles

City Highlight: Barcelona

Ask anyone who has been to Barcelona about the city and you are likely to get a big smile and hear the so-clichéd-but-so-true words, “I love Barcelona!”

City Highlight: Madrid

Madrid is vibrant, creative, and has a regal vibe with grand architecture befitting an ancient empire that once gripped the Iberian Peninsula